Sponge filter in Fluval flex

Posted (edited)

So just set up my sponge filter in my main tank so I can have it ready in case I need to set up a qt tank and I’ll have a cycled filter and I have a few questions:

1. To anyone who has a Fluval flex: is this okay in the back left compartment in the tank that doesn’t come with anything?

2. Will this placement be okay, it’s very squished in there but the bubbles are coming out and as long as it has bacteria buildup that’s all I need - I’m not using it for filtering just bb

3. The bubbles are VERY loud. How can I make them quieter?

Thanks.

IMG_3783.png

IMG_3784.png

It’s very crammed in there but I’m assuming that will be fine to build up beneficial bacteria right?

Edited by Cjbear087

On 5/13/2024 at 10:26 PM, GoofyGarra said:

1. so long as there is water flowing through the area the sponge filter is in it should be fine

2.should not be a problem, more compacting=less surface area so bacteria wont be as much, but should still work

3. add an airstone

Ok thank you, I have some water flow going through and it might be pushed up against the vents slightly but it can just go through the sponge I guess. How can I add an airstone? Where would I put it?

On 5/13/2024 at 5:19 PM, Cjbear087 said:

To anyone who has a Fluval flex: is this okay in the back left compartment in the tank that doesn’t come with anything?

we have two of them but must have the new improved version. for about a month that compartment was full. Of kuhli loaches. 🤣 That was a serious pain to undo. the design department didn't think about that, I'm sure. agree with @GoofyGarra. As long as you are sure you have water flowing in it, it will become cycled. but it is cramped, so you'd have to make sure. and any sponge filter can be quieted with airstones inside the filter. but there are filters that will not accept the addition of an airstone. Unfortunately, I have a few of those kinds as well. no way to hook one up, unlike the older style of the coop sponge. The tight-fitting lid should help to dampen the noise a bit

On 5/13/2024 at 5:36 PM, Cjbear087 said:

How can I add an airstone

On the older style coop filters you would take them apart and add them underneath the main hookup.

with a very short airline.

possible ones without that attatchment you could thread airline down between the vents and underneath the original hookup point. if it allows for that

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 10:38 PM, Tony s said:

we have two of them but must have the new improved version. for about a month that compartment was full. Of kuhli loaches. 🤣 That was a serious pain to undo. the design department didn't think about that, I'm sure. agree with @GoofyGarra. As long as you are sure you have water flowing in it, it will become cycled. but it is cramped, so you'd have to make sure. and any sponge filter can be quieted with airstones inside the filter. but there are filters that will not accept the addition of an airstone. Unfortunately, I have a few of those kinds as well. no way to hook one up, unlike the older style of the coop sponge. The tight-fitting lid should help to dampen the noise a bit

Ah ok, so what I can do while I’m heating up the qt overnight or something all just add some liquid ammonia and check the next day to double check it’s all good. Will that be okay? Also, how long should it take to cycle? My tank is already established with fish in it.

Posted (edited)

if you could leave it in for several weeks it should become established. yeah, it's not fast. That's why people with multiple tanks leave an extra one in at all times. 

once your sponge is in there for a month, it should be good. wouldn't need the ammonia. just observation that it stays down at a reasonable level

Edited by Tony s

On 5/13/2024 at 10:45 PM, Tony s said:

if you could leave it in for several weeks it should become established. yeah, it's not fast. That's why people with multiple tanks leave an extra one in at all times. 

once your sponge is in there for a month, it should be good. wouldn't need the ammonia. just observation that it stays down at a reasonable level

Ok appreciate it. Also just checked and luckily mine does have an option for an airstone. How would this quieten the filter?

the other thing to watch out for. Just keep your qt bare bones. no substrate or anything. if you start adding that you won't want to take it down.

On 5/13/2024 at 5:51 PM, Cjbear087 said:

How would this quieten the filter?

smaller bubbles from the sponge, so less popping and bubbling noise