Yoshi's 55 Gallon Living Room Aquarium

On 6/5/2024 at 8:05 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Looks like your almost there! What is your nitrite reading tho? That is very important. Or did I miss something? 😂 I do that a lot. @Yoshi also how long has it been? Since you started. I was wondering how long it was tnak8ng you exactly…

Oops!  Mis-types.  It's my NITRITES that are hovering just barely above zero.  Fixed the original post.

Today is 3 weeks since I first put water in the aquarium!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:07 PM, Yoshi said:

Oops!  Mis-types.  It's my NITRITES that are hovering just barely above zero.  Fixed the original post.

Today is 3 weeks since I first put water in the aquarium!

Oooooh that makes more sense! Yes than your so close to being done! 3 weeks, wow, that is awesome! What a quick cycle if it finishes soon, best of luck! 

• Love 1

So last time I thought I was cycled I wasn't.  My nitrites went close to zero.  I re-dosed with ammonia and they shot right back up and stayed there for days.

Today I checked and my nitrites and ammonia are a flat zero.  No color change on the strip at all.  So I've re-dosed with ammonia and we'll see where it is tomorrow 🙂

One relatively new development.  I'm starting to see significant melt on two of my Anubis.  I know that plant melt is something you have to expect, but I would have thought it would have happened shortly after introducing them to the tank, not nearly a month in.  It's the two plants in the front two corners.

On the other hand, my two crypts are doing great!  No crypt melt here!

IMG_0314.jpeg

• Love 1

On 6/12/2024 at 7:46 PM, Yoshi said:

So last time I thought I was cycled I wasn't.  My nitrites went close to zero.  I re-dosed with ammonia and they shot right back up and stayed there for days.

Today I checked and my nitrites and ammonia are a flat zero.  No color change on the strip at all.  So I've re-dosed with ammonia and we'll see where it is tomorrow 🙂

One relatively new development.  I'm starting to see significant melt on two of my Anubis.  I know that plant melt is something you have to expect, but I would have thought it would have happened shortly after introducing them to the tank, not nearly a month in.  It's the two plants in the front two corners.

On the other hand, my two crypts are doing great!  No crypt melt here!

IMG_0314.jpeg

Exactly what happened to my 10g. I thought i might be done, but the nitrites after a dose of ammonia were off the charts!!! Hopefully maybe tomorrow you might be cycled. If not then in the next week most likely. 

• Like 1

So while I'm not fully cycled yet, I think we're getting close.

After taking parameters yesterday I re-dosed with 2 tsp ammonia which I've found takes me up to about 1.5ppm in my 55 gallon tank.

This evening ammonia was reading 0 and nitrites were only at 1ppm.  Nitrates had gone up to 50.

I'm not rushing out to buy livestock, but this feels encouraging! 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 11:53 PM, Yoshi said:

So while I'm not fully cycled yet, I think we're getting close.

After taking parameters yesterday I re-dosed with 2 tsp ammonia which I've found takes me up to about 1.5ppm in my 55 gallon tank.

This evening ammonia was reading 0 and nitrites were only at 1ppm.  Nitrates had gone up to 50.

I'm not rushing out to buy livestock, but this feels encouraging! 

Yes, you are so close! Almost there!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So update after about a week.  Things continue to progress and I'm thinking at this point I truly am cycled.

Yesterday I did about a 50% water change to reduce some tannins.  Afterward I re-dosed with Easy Green, Easy Iron, and 2 tsp of ammonia, and added a size super Wonder Shell.

Parameters today:

• Ammonia 0
  • Nitrates 25
  • Nitrites 0
  • GH 150
  • KH 120
  • PH 7.2
  • Chlorine 0

I'm noticing a brown film starting to coat hard surfaces, specifically the HOB filter and on the Wonder Shell that I added yesterday.  I'm assuming that's biofilm starting to collect, which is great!  I've decided I'm going to try and establish a neocardina shrimp colony for a couple of months before adding any fish.  I hadn't expected significant biofilm for a while yet.

At this point the plan is to continue to monitor parameters every couple of days.  If I'm continuing to see that kind of "slime" growth maybe I'll be able to add shrimp next weekend!

IMG_0321.jpeg

Edited by Yoshi
  • Love 1

On 6/23/2024 at 6:11 PM, Yoshi said:

So update after about a week.  Things continue to progress and I'm thinking at this point I truly am cycled.

Yesterday I did about a 50% water change to reduce some tannins.  Afterward I reduced with Easy Green, Easy Iron, and 2 tsp of ammonia, and added a size super Wonder Shell.

Parameters today:

• Ammonia 0
  • Nitrates 25
  • Nitrites 0
  • GH 150
  • KH 120
  • PH 7.2
  • Chlorine 0

I'm noticing a brown film starting to coat hard surfaces, specifically the HOB filter and on the Wonder Shell that I added yesterday.  I'm assuming that's biofilm starting to collect, which is great!  I've decided I'm going to try and establish a neocardina shrimp colony for a couple of months before adding any fish.  I hadn't expected significant biofilm for a while yet.

At this point the plan is to continue to monitor parameters every couple of days.  If I'm continuing to see that kind of "slime" growth maybe I'll be able to add shrimp next weekend!

IMG_0321.jpeg

From the paremeters. Your tank looks like it is cycled! But I would wait a week or little bit less to add any livestock. It looks awesome! Congrats on your newly cycled tank!  👏👏👏👏

• Love 1

On 6/23/2024 at 5:14 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

From the paremeters. Your tank looks like it is cycled! But I would wait a week or little bit less to add any livestock. It looks awesome! Congrats on your newly cycled tank!  👏👏👏👏

Yeah, that's the plan.  I actually re-dosed ammonia today.  I'm going to take parameters again tomorrow to confirm the cycle.  But I want to see the tank stable for about a week before I add any kind of livestock.  But come next weekend. . . *fingers crossed*

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 6:19 PM, Yoshi said:

Yeah, that's the plan.  I actually re-dosed ammonia today.  I'm going to take parameters again tomorrow to confirm the cycle.  But I want to see the tank stable for about a week before I add any kind of livestock.  But come next weekend. . . *fingers crossed*

Yes, if ammonia nitrite go down in a 24 span, your cycled. Fingers crossed 🤞 as well. 

• Like 1

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things,
Of shoes - and ships - and sealing wax -
Of cabbages and kings -
And why the sea is boiling hot,
And whether pigs have wings."

I actually don't know why I decided to lead with that, but it felt so right in the moment. . .

So today was the day!  Parameters have been stable all week, so I decided to venture over to the LFS after work today.

For the record we have 20 cherry shrimp, 2 horned nerites, 2 zebra nerites, 4 spotted nerites, and 4 Japanese trapdoor snails.

I dip acclimated everyone before putting them fully in the tank.  Within 20 minutes everyone was moving around.  I expected some of the snails to sort of clam up (no pun intended), but all of them almost immediately started sliding around, exploring.  The shrimp were the same way.  They instantly were zooming from spot to spot before settling down in a couple of areas.

I plan to take parameters pretty regularly for a bit to make sure the cycle holds and things stay stable.  But I'm excited!  

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

YAY!!!!! Fish!! Or shrimp and snails, but still fish in my book lol! If parameters are stable for a week, then the tank should definitely be cycled! But yes, keep i eye on the water quality still. So happy for you.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:09 PM, Yoshi said:

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things,
Of shoes - and ships - and sealing wax -
Of cabbages and kings -
And why the sea is boiling hot,
And whether pigs have wings."

I actually don't know why I decided to lead with that, but it felt so right in the moment. . .

So today was the day!  Parameters have been stable all week, so I decided to venture over to the LFS after work today.

For the record we have 20 cherry shrimp, 2 horned nerites, 2 zebra nerites, 4 spotted nerites, and 4 Japanese trapdoor snails.

I dip acclimated everyone before putting them fully in the tank.  Within 20 minutes everyone was moving around.  I expected some of the snails to sort of clam up (no pun intended), but all of them almost immediately started sliding around, exploring.  The shrimp were the same way.  They instantly were zooming from spot to spot before settling down in a couple of areas.

I plan to take parameters pretty regularly for a bit to make sure the cycle holds and things stay stable.  But I'm excited!  

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg

• Love 1

We're three days in and it's been almost all ups with one down.

For the down, one of my red spotted nerite snails didn't survive the transition into the tank.  Everyone seemed to be relatively active that first evening, but I noticed the next day one particular guy was in the same spot all day.  I gave it a few days and then tonight did the smell test and he's very obviously moved beyond the mortal plane.  But that's the only casualty that I'm aware of.  It's quite possible some shrimp haven't made it, but with them it's so much harder to tell.

One observation - some of the snails seem to have staked out certain parts of the tank they like to hang out in.  It's only been a few days, so that may change, but I've found that interesting to watch.  The zebra nerites like to hang out back by the sponge filter and one of the heaters, two of the red spotted nerites are always by the Malaysian driftwood, and three of the Japanese trapdoor snails stay over on the right of the tank.

Speaking of the trapdoor snails, I'm really falling in love with them.  That tinge of what almost looks like patinated copper is just so pretty.  They're also probably the most active of the snails.  Almost always gliding around their area.

Parameters have remained stable, even though I massively over-fed on the second day with some sinking pellets.  I over estimated how much was in a teaspoon.

Ammonia 0
Nitrates 25
Nitrites 0
GH 300
KH 120
PH 7.2
Chlorine 0

IMG_0354.jpeg

IMG_0357.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

It's been a little over two weeks since the introduction of the first livestock.  As I previously posted I lost two snails in the transition, but so far everyone else seems to be thriving.

One new development regarding the shrimp, they're starting to molt which I'm taking as a good sign that they're growing and happy!  Also in the past couple of days I've started seeing a couple of them swimming almost constantly through the water column around the tank.  I read somewhere that this is a possible indication that a female is releasing pheromones, attracting males to mate.  I've been feeding a rotation of Repashi, sinking pellets, frozen green beans, and flakes.

Two of my anubias plants lost all their leaves and their rhizomes have turned brown.  I'm guessing I glued them too tightly to the rocks.  However, each of them have started sprouting new roots out of the brown rhizome, which I wasn't expecting at this point!  I got some Easy Potassium and started dosing that along with the Easy Green and Easy Iron.  We'll see if they come back.

No immediate plans for more livestock at this point.  I want to try and get the shrimp colony well and truly established before I introduce any fish.  I'm guessing a few months at minimum.  As that time gets closer I may probe the hive mind for any suggestions on what to introduce next!

IMG_0365.jpeg

• Love 1

On 7/13/2024 at 3:09 PM, Yoshi said:

Update time!

It's been a little over two weeks since the introduction of the first livestock.  As I previously posted I lost two snails in the transition, but so far everyone else seems to be thriving.

One new development regarding the shrimp, they're starting to molt which I'm taking as a good sign that they're growing and happy!  Also in the past couple of days I've started seeing a couple of them swimming almost constantly through the water column around the tank.  I read somewhere that this is a possible indication that a female is releasing pheromones, attracting males to mate.  I've been feeding a rotation of Repashi, sinking pellets, frozen green beans, and flakes.

Two of my anubias plants lost all their leaves and their rhizomes have turned brown.  I'm guessing I glued them too tightly to the rocks.  However, each of them have started sprouting new roots out of the brown rhizome, which I wasn't expecting at this point!  I got some Easy Potassium and started dosing that along with the Easy Green and Easy Iron.  We'll see if they come back.

No immediate plans for more livestock at this point.  I want to try and get the shrimp colony well and truly established before I introduce any fish.  I'm guessing a few months at minimum.  As that time gets closer I may probe the hive mind for any suggestions on what to introduce next!

IMG_0365.jpeg

Thanks for the update! Glad the shrimp are thriving! Maybe are you thinking of a school yet? A schooling fish. Good options for this tank. I saw some shrimp in corys vid on him moving his 800g in his fish room, they are called blue ocean I 🤔 think. But they are beautiful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2024 at 6:01 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thanks for the update! Glad the shrimp are thriving! Maybe are you thinking of a school yet? A schooling fish. Good options for this tank. I saw some shrimp in corys vid on him moving his 800g in his fish room, they are called blue ocean I 🤔 think. But they are beautiful.

I'm definitely planning on schooling fish.  The goal over time is to have one bottom schooling fish, probably panda cories, and two mid-column schools, thinking cardinal tetras and maybe CPDs.  I haven't read anywhere about whether it makes any difference if you add bottom schooling fish or mid-column fish first.

Top of the water column I'm still debating about.  At one point I thought about silver hatchets, but I'm really worried about their jumping and my lid having a gap in the back.  Someone suggested guppies actually and I'm thinking that may be cool.

Edited by Yoshi
  • Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 9:20 PM, Yoshi said:

I'm definitely planning on schooling fish.  The goal over time is to have one bottom schooling fish, probably panda cories, and two mid-column schools, thinking cardinal tetras and maybe CPDs.  I haven't read anywhere about whether it makes any difference if you add bottom schooling fish or mid-column fish first.

Top of the water column I'm still debating about.  At one point I thought about silver hatchets, but I'm really worried about their jumping and my lip having a gap in the back.  Someone suggested guppies actually and I'm thinking that may be cool.

White Cloud Mountain minnows!!!! Like 15 or more, especially the long fin ones, or golden, are beautiful! Trust me, so much personality, my fav fish of all time.

• Love 1

On 7/13/2024 at 8:23 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

White Cloud Mountain minnows!!!! Like 15 or more, especially the long fin ones, or golden, are beautiful! Trust me, so much personality, my fav fish of all time.

I thought about WCMs!  But don't they really need cooler water?  I'm running my tank at about 77 degrees.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 9:25 PM, Yoshi said:

I thought about WCMs!  But don't they really need cooler water?  I'm running my tank at about 77 degrees.

Oh ….. yeah 😅. It can be done, but you would need to do some research. Jason from prime time aquatics on YouTube keeps them with a betta in 78 degree water though, so i thnk it is possible @Yoshi.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2024 at 8:26 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Oh ….. yeah 😅. It can be done, but you would need to do some research. Jason from prime time aquatics on YouTube keeps them with a betta in 78 degree water though, so i thnk it is possible @Yoshi.

Sooooo - after doing a bit of quick reading, pretty much all the other fish I have tentatively planned can do well in water in the mid to low 70s.  And ACO says WCMs can tolerate up to 77.

In your experience are they a top of the water column, bottom, or middle type of fish?

Edited by Yoshi
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 7:20 PM, Yoshi said:

Someone suggested guppies actually and I'm thinking that may be cool.

This is actually a genius idea! Although they do swim all over the place I feel like they stick to the top, especially during feeding times lol (and especially in a large tank too!)

• Love 2

On 7/13/2024 at 9:46 PM, Yoshi said:

Sooooo - after doing a bit of quick reading, pretty much all the other fish I have tentatively planned can do well in water in the mid to low 70s.  And ACO says WCMs can tolerate up to 77.

In your experience are they a top of the water column, bottom, or middle type of fish?

Top dwellers. They do like to explore, down low in hides, around plants, but you will see them at the top the most. I think that would be great! @Yoshi

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little mini update!

Last night I put a couple of pieces of frozen green beans in the tank to switch up the food rotation.  This morning I looked and my Japanese Trapdoor Snails were literally carrying some of the pieces around the tank!  In my head I hear them saying "It's mine and you can't have any!"

It made me smile! 🙂

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been almost 3 weeks since I last posted.  Real life got very complicated for a while so while still maintaining my tank, it took a bit of a backseat to some other things going on.

But I'm here with an update!!  *cue the very official sounds eyewitness news music*

I think the biggest news is that when just casually walking by the tank today I see that one of my shrimp is berried!!  I did my best to get a photo, but she's on the intake sponge for the Tidal at the back of the tank, so it's a little blurry.  But she's very obviously carrying eggs, which makes me super happy!

The octopus plant has really taken off.  Its top is now draped across the waters surface at the top and there are new stalks coming up.

I had a couple anubias plants that I thought had died from me probably gluing them too tightly to the rocks.  They had lost all their leaves and the rhizomes turned brown.  But you can see that they're starting to put out new roots, which I find fascinating.  We'll see if anything come of it.

I'm also starting to see some hair algae on the stone mountain.  I actually kind of like the look of it.  I figure it it gets to be too much I can always scrape it down.

As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated!

IMG_0410.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0413.jpeg

• Like 1