Charest family 150 gallon

Got this tank and stand off marketplace a little while ago. And I finally got around to setting it up today. My daughter and I went on hikes to gather the rocks for it. And after hunting all the local fish stores we finally found a good piece of driftwood for it. So I got that boiled last week and soaked it for the past week as well. But today all the plants came in and we filled the tank up

No fish as of yet since the tank is needing to go through it's cycle. But I know I would like angelfish and some kind of community tank to go with it. 

Hopefully in the next few days the tank clears up and there are no more tannins relieved by the driftwood. But only time will tell. There's a powerhead in the tank with filter floss in it to catch the small particles since I've read canister filters aren't really good at getting those. 

20240509_201833.jpg

20240509_201843.jpg

20240509_201839.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Looking good!

You're more patient than I - I used some really fine sand like that in a few tanks (play sand) and about ripped my hair out dealing with it, lol. Fish liked it, just a constant battle with cloudy water anytime something moved in the tank. 

I used filter sand instead I read in a couple spots it's alot more forgiving then play sand. Hopefully that's true as it was 4 times the price haha. There's pea gravel and a fine layer of pond soil under the sand though. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The tank is growing in nicely so far I think. I did however change the lights as the flood lights that were on it were to bright causing a ton of alge. This past weekend we added 10 Cory catfish, 15 black skirt tetra, and 2 albino bristlenose plecos that we haven't seen since they were put in. 20240526_190643.jpg.651c971868837100f5ae2141306b87a8.jpg

20240526_190639.jpg

20240526_190633.jpg

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few changes in the past couple weeks since the last update. A couple of the corys didn't make it. We still have 6 that seem health. My guess is it was stress as the tank parameters are fine. Last week we had recieved an order from aqua Hauna of 24 cardinal tetra. However also due to stress is my guess they have slowly been dieing as well as we are down to only 10. Today we went to the lfs for 7 angelfish to add to the tank. Next week depending how many cardinal are left we may try some of there's. Unless anyone has a reliable source for some please let me know. 

20240607_190316.jpg

20240607_190309.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thank you! It's unfortunate however i wad not very confident in them because there were shipping for so long. It was shipped on a Monday and delivered on a Thursday 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't remember where I left off last but here is an updated picture of the tank. There's 24 bleeding heart tetra 14 black skirt only 3 cardinal left I think 12 corys and 7 angels. Today I added a couple small powerheads to get the water to move alittle more. I'm just hoping there not to big where they will stress the angels out. They seem to be fine still coming right up to the glass as usual when I stand at it. 

20240630_201514.jpg

• Like 1