Canopy Care

Any advice on how to manage/reduce this? Im referring to the white calcium deposits. I know one way is to just clean with white vinegar but ideally prevention would be the better option. As far as cleaning; would the coops algea scrubbing pads be an option? I noticed they also work for hardwater stains. 

20240506_111816.jpg

I’m assuming the deposits are coming from an air stone? If so, you can put a plastic lid of some sort (think fast food soda lid, plastic deli container lid, Tupperware lid, etc) at the top of the water with the airline running through it. This will act as a shield and should keep the air bubbles from popping up on the lid and leaving those deposits. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The coop pads are basically magic erasers. They do a good job of cleaning, but fall apart if you start scrubbing. You can use a normal scrubbing pad as long as it's never been used for anything else and has no chemicals.

You can try to let the vinegar soak a bit to get the hard stuff to loosen up.

For prevention, I try to clean the lids when I do water changes to keep it from building up over time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 12:18 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I’m assuming the deposits are coming from an air stone? If so, you can put a plastic lid of some sort (think fast food soda lid, plastic deli container lid, Tupperware lid, etc) at the top of the water with the airline running through it. This will act as a shield and should keep the air bubbles from popping up on the lid and leaving those deposits. 

Great idea, im going to try to find a thin sheet of firm plastic to place under the canopy in problem areas!

On 5/7/2024 at 11:18 AM, sumplkrum said:

The coop pads are basically magic erasers. They do a good job of cleaning, but fall apart if you start scrubbing. You can use a normal scrubbing pad as long as it's never been used for anything else and has no chemicals.

You can try to let the vinegar soak a bit to get the hard stuff to loosen up.

For prevention, I try to clean the lids when I do water changes to keep it from building up over time.

I wish i knew they could be used in and around aquariums sooner.  Ive been using Magic Erasers on my bathtub for years.  Shortly after posting this I spot cleaned the outside of my aquarium with a 2x ME, it worked wonders on years of calcium buildup (literally years worth).  Ill most likely vinegar soak the canopy, try scouring it off, then doing this monthly along with the ideas above.

Edited by JoeQ

On 5/8/2024 at 6:42 AM, johnnyxxl said:

I don't know if the mr.clean one has any cleaners added to them before you use it in an area that will expose your fish, you may want to check 

The original and 2x do not, there might be other flavors that do tho.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 9:26 AM, gabdewulf said:

Easier to clean with tank water than vinegar which is all I've had to do. Literally dip my hand in the tank and use the splash off to wipe the lid clean.

I have hard water, if i did that id have water spots everywhere!  Also tank water wont take this off, you can see where i cleaned it off with the eraser. 

20240508_093220.jpg