Betta Fish Fin Rot w/Okay Water Parameters, How to Treat?

I noticed my betta for sure had fin rot a week and a half ago. I had suspected he may have had fin rot a couple weeks before that but figured I was being paranoid. My betta fish is in an aquarium with the following specs:

• 5 gallon
  • 50W heater that is preset (usually I find it's around 78 degrees)
  • sponge filter
  • water parameters
    • ammonia = 0ppm
    • nitrites = 0ppm
    • nitrates = 5-10 ppm depending on when I decide to do a water change
  • no tank mates
  • Got him from PetSmart (I know, bad, but I saw him while I was picking up some supplies and fell in love)

I have had him for almost a year and he just got fin rot. However, I have been noticing he has been having seizures every so often where his head thrashes for a second and then he quickly swims to the other side of the tank. I thought I had treated it with the med trio but when I was watching him while treating him for fin rot I noticed he is still having seizures.

I tested the water thinking that I was just slacking on water changes too much, but the water parameters seemed fine to me. I gave him a week of maracyn treatment and the fin rot seemed to continue to progress. I don't have a picture from today but the top part of his caudal fin is starting to look like it is dying off. Does anyone have any ideas on how to treat him while he is in a planted tank? I also don't have a quarantine tank I can put him in... The best other option is put him in my water change bucket if I need to have a quarantine tank, but I don't have a spare filter or heater. I am also kind of tight on money right now so I am not sure how much I can spend on his treatment. Thanks in advance for the help!

image.jpeg.24f6569d36c0225705c2e2746cb13916.jpegimage.jpeg.8b174e5565ad1781e66e92a2f6aacc19.jpeg

On 5/6/2024 at 1:22 AM, writinglover0101 said:

Got him from PetSmart (I know, bad, but I saw him while I was picking up some supplies and fell in love)

Actually not bad. They buy their fish from the same sources as a lot of everyone else. Only so many sources for commercial fish. I often do the same thing. Usually I have at least 4 in various tanks.

for the finrot, I’d dose with maracyn2 if you can get it. Usually from a lfs. Adding a couple of catapa or Indian almond leaves. Following the directions on the box very closely for the meds. 

On 5/6/2024 at 1:50 AM, Tony s said:

Actually not bad. They buy their fish from the same sources as a lot of everyone else. Only so many sources for commercial fish. I often do the same thing. Usually I have at least 4 in various tanks.

for the finrot, I’d dose with maracyn2 if you can get it. Usually from a lfs. Adding a couple of catapa or Indian almond leaves. Following the directions on the box very closely for the meds. 

Ah, I am just so used to people in the hobby shaming people for supporting PetSmart or Petco. I'm glad other people here get fish from them as well.

I don't thnk I can get my hands on maracyn 2, do you think kanaplex (for gram negative bacteria) could be an alternative since maracyn (for gram positive bacteria) didn't help?

• Like 1

Yes. Kanaplex will do just as well. Possibly better 

On 5/6/2024 at 2:44 AM, writinglover0101 said:

I'm glad other people here get fish from them as well

Depends on the store. And current conditions. If they’re off, you can tell. I get my fish mainly from two lfs. But I have an 8 yr old. And she likes glow fish. And I always look at the bettas. I figure at least I can get them out of the cups. They may not last long. But they’d be happier. 

• Like 2

am just so used to people in the hobby shaming people for supporting PetSmart or Petco

Yeah. They do that. But most people get their start from there. And usually go back for supplies all the time. Without them, there may not be a hobby. At least it’d be much smaller. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Ah, I am just so used to people in the hobby shaming people for supporting PetSmart or Petco. I'm glad other people here get fish from them as well.

I don't thnk I can get my hands on maracyn 2, do you think kanaplex (for gram negative bacteria) could be an alternative since maracyn (for gram positive bacteria) didn't help?

Yes your not alone, i have only bought fish from petsmart. I think its fine, i bpought every fish i ever had from there.  My white cloud minnows have really good health and are thriving so yeah, dont feel bad. Kanaplex, 100% reccomend. I have it, i think it can be better than maracyn 2 possibly as well like @Tony s mentioned

On 5/6/2024 at 6:23 AM, Tony s said:

Yeah. They do that. But most people get their start from there. And usually go back for supplies all the time. Without them, there may not be a hobby. At least it’d be much smaller. 

Same.

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 6:15 AM, Tony s said:

And shAnd I always look at the bettas. I figure at least I can get them out of the cups. They may not last long. But they’d be happier. 

Crazy enough, i have been to one that had them in tanks! Like nice 10gs, but never seen anything like it again. @Tony s

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 7:35 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

have been to one that had them in tanks! Like nice 10gs

You can keep females in a tank together. Called a sorority. There are a couple of ways to do it. One takes a large tank  and a ton of females. Almost 1 per every gallon and a half. And lots of tall plants or site breaks. The idea is to overwhelm the betta and she then doesn’t know who to attack. If it was a male, he’s just going to attack all the time. 

the other way is to put 5 or 6 in a 20g with some dither fish. Spreading the aggression around if you get any. Females are naturally less aggressive. So hopefully you don’t. I have tried and failed this in a smaller tank. But I had spare places to put them. Just in case 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 9:18 AM, Tony s said:

You can keep females in a tank together. Called a sorority. There are a couple of ways to do it. One takes a large tank  and a ton of females. Almost 1 per every gallon and a half. And lots of tall plants or site breaks. The idea is to overwhelm the betta and she then doesn’t know who to attack. If it was a male, he’s just going to attack all the time. 

the other way is to put 5 or 6 in a 20g with some dither fish. Spreading the aggression around if you get any. Females are naturally less aggressive. So hopefully you don’t. I have tried and failed this in a smaller tank. But I had spare places to put them. Just in case 

Yes I knew they could, (the females) but I have never seen them in petsmart before. Yes keep us posted if u can @writinglover0101!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No shame in getting fish from the Big Box Pet Store, especially when, like me, there are no LFS near. I’ve bought Albino Cory that I’ve had now for 2 years. 4 Otocinclus that are still healthy and  happy and several Glofish for my husbands tank. All of them are doing well. It really depends on how well they are being taken care of in the individual store. It’s perfectly ok to get your fish from there if you are comfortable with how healthy they are!

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Okay, so small update! Seems that kanaplex is somewhat working in that it is slowing the progress of the fin rot. I think I have seen a little bit more raggedy-ness in his fins since starting him on the anitbiotics, but I am not entirely sure.

Here's him after one day of treatment:

image.jpeg.8229ca625cdaa44cb9a998ef10c49dbf.jpeg

image.jpeg.ce3c9718f4b02630a4d8d2a55a678e73.jpeg

This is him after 3 days of treatment:

image.jpeg.eb9f9adf0c5fd78b2730ff88b62e4c9c.jpegimage.jpeg.ab28b8818ac27dcba3b2cc745d87726f.jpeg

If he is continuing to show more raggedy-ness in his tails after the 6 days of treatment, what do you think the next steps should be? I know antibiotics are hard on the fish kidneys so I don't want to stress him out too much and I'll need to be away soon...

Thanks for the help!

• Love 1

On 5/10/2024 at 1:37 PM, writinglover0101 said:

what do you think the next steps should be

I think a bit of patience (yes, I know it's hard to be patient having a sick animal.). the kanaplex is working, but some damage was probably done already. So it's just showing up now. At the very least, I'd give it a couple or three weeks to work and let him recover. or if it doesn't work, give his body a chance to clear the meds

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 9:30 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Aquarium salt, is a good thing to use for almost any disease @writinglover0101.

I am just a bit concerned that it will kill all my plants while I am gone and I won't be around to clean them out so there isn't an ammonia spike

On 5/10/2024 at 9:53 PM, Tony s said:

I think a bit of patience (yes, I know it's hard to be patient having a sick animal.). the kanaplex is working, but some damage was probably done already. So it's just showing up now. At the very least, I'd give it a couple or three weeks to work and let him recover. or if it doesn't work, give his body a chance to clear the meds

Do you mean give him a few weeks after treating the full 3 doses with kanaplex to let him recover? Every dose is 2 days and so I am not sure if it is active in the water after those 2 days.

On 5/10/2024 at 10:28 PM, writinglover0101 said:

Do you mean give him a few weeks after treating the full 3 doses with kanaplex to let him recover?

Yeah. I’d follow the directions on the label exactly. I have only used maracyn2. So couldn’t tell you exactly what that is. But when the treatment course is done. Allow a bit of time for recovery 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2024 at 10:28 PM, writinglover0101 said:

I am just a bit concerned that it will kill all my plants while I am gone and I won't be around to clean them out so there isn't an ammonia spike

Do you mean give him a few weeks after treating the full 3 doses with kanaplex to let him recover? Every dose is 2 days and so I am not sure if it is active in the water after those 2 days.

Oh my bad, I forgot you had plants

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 11:33 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah. I’d follow the directions on the label exactly. I have only used maracyn2. So couldn’t tell you exactly what that is. But when the treatment course is done. Allow a bit of time for recovery 

Thanks! Hopefully he doesn't feel too bad for long 🙂 He's not usually a lazy betta but he's been chilling on the gravel or my floating baby java ferns more since he's been sick

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to mention that I've had good success supplementing with Seachem Stressguard to help treat fin-rot.  I like to stack that with Maracyn2 or Kanaplex.  

Stressguard is basically Methylene Blue and polymers. Methylene Blue is antiseptic.  It will help mitigate or prevent an infection.  The polymers will bind to the wounds to help prevent a bacterial infection.   

Edited by ShineOn75
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/12/2024 at 9:56 AM, ShineOn75 said:

I just wanted to mention that I've had good success supplementing with Seachem Stressguard to help treat fin-rot.  I like to stack that with Maracyn2 or Kanaplex.  

Stressguard is basically Methylene Blue and polymers. Methylene Blue is antiseptic.  It will help mitigate or prevent an infection.  The polymers will bind to the wounds to help prevent a bacterial infection.   

Thanks! Yeah, I did see that as an option but wasn't sure how much it contributed to the success and how it worked. Maybe I can order some and see if that helps my little buddy out in keeping the bacterial infection at bay while he fully recovers.

• Like 2
  • Love 1