Help with milky water - mature tank

quikv6

I have been having milky (not cloudy from particles/debris) water in my mature axolotl tank....and I'm not sure why. There's some minor foaming/bubbles where water breaks from filters. The tank has been established and running for years. Any help is appreciated.

Tank parameters:

Ammonia - 0 (according to Co-op ammonia strips; API kit is long expired.)

Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5, PH - 7.0, GH - 120, KH 40-80, Chlorine - 0 (Prime and/or Tetra dechlorinator is used)

Temp - 60-64 F

Water change schedule: generally 25% twice a week.

Feeding schedule: every other day - Live worm or sinking carnivore pellets. There is no leftover food. 

Fillter: A small HOB and sponge filter. I added an additional airstone when the cloudy water happened.

I am a bit stumped on this one. There is a solo axolotyl in the tank, who exhibits no unusual behavior.  It is not a new tank, and if the Co-op ammonia strips are correct, there is no ammonia, as is sometimes seen with the foamy bubbles. Also, My 3 other fish tanks are perfectly clear. Same source water.

This seems to be some sort of imbalance, that I just can't figure out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:22 AM, quikv6 said:

Flow is consistant. There is plenty of flow in the tank. Also...no other reason that I can think of for bacteria die off.

You said temp is 60-64f... Did you have any weather related incident in your area where that could have gone significantly outside that range, even briefly?

No...not at all. I monitor it all the time, and actually use USB fans if it gets to 64. I keep it in that range at all times. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Any other reasons for milky water that I am not aware of?