Blue acara availability

I find it really odd that the market for blue acaras has been flooded with the morph known as the “electric blue” acara. EB acaras are generally more than twice the price of true blue acaras, so I guess that explains it. But I generally prefer pets that are closer to the wildtype, and not morphs. Even my LFS is having a tough time ordering blue acaras for me. It’s weird, because you can still easily find oscars, Jack Dempsey, ram cichlids, angelfish, etc. that still have the original colors and patterns. I’d rather not order fish myself, but I might have to. Anyone else lament how hard it has become to find true blue acaras?

On 4/25/2024 at 6:36 AM, AtomicSunfish said:

I find it really odd that the market for blue acaras has been flooded with the morph known as the “electric blue” acara. EB acaras are generally more than twice the price of true blue acaras, so I guess that explains it. But I generally prefer pets that are closer to the wildtype, and not morphs. Even my LFS is having a tough time ordering blue acaras for me. It’s weird, because you can still easily find oscars, Jack Dempsey, ram cichlids, angelfish, etc. that still have the original colors and patterns. I’d rather not order fish myself, but I might have to. Anyone else lament how hard it has become to find true blue acaras?

The Wetspot Tropical has them.https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/product/andinoacara-pulcher/

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 1:36 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

Those rams you find as wild form are also mostly selectively bred for their colorations. Wild german blue rams are not THAT colorful. Same goes for many fish we encounter today in the hobby.

The oscars at my LFS are crazy red even as colored forms, albinos or normal coloring. Meanwhile oscars in nature:

Like, in terms of a wild colored GBR that is worthy of a pic:

https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/25-perchlike-fishes/mikrogeophagus-ramirezi-wild-2/

GBR many including me would like to have and keep in the hobby which seems to be "wild form" (at least not gold, black, or electric blue) but is surely selectively bred for ages:

2 Piece ₹800 ] German Blue Ram Fish

If not wildcaught, probably those true blue acaras you are looking for in the hobby are also selectively bred for their coloring. And yes, people like flashy look and vibrant colors usually. And this system works with supply and demand just like any other.

Btw, Idk about the true blue acara vs electric blue acara comparison, but many acaras are more expensive than electric blues in where I live. Breeding electric blues is super easy from what I see from people around me. Everybody having babies with a regular tap and minimal care meanwhile some acaras are very needy and picky about parameters and such

• Like 1

Those wild oscars are gorgeous! 😀 Yes, the closest thing to wild type oscars is the tiger oscar, which has more red than the wild, but less than the red oscar.

As a rule, I favor wild type or close to wild type in fish and really all animals for the following reasons:

- Preference for natural appearance

- Avoid inbreeding depression

- Avoid deformity / dysfunction

Whether its fish, dogs, or whatever, breeding animals to extremes usually harms the animals. Flat-faced dogs like pugs and bulldogs often can't breathe or move very well. Hairless sphynx cats can't regulate their temperature very well. Blood parrot hybrid cichlids can't close their mouth. And so on.

When it comes to color-bred cichlids, not only do I prefer the wild colors, but the solid colors prevent the cichlids from communicating and camouflaging as easily, because they can't change their color pattern. Red oscars are just solid red, EB acaras, JD, and rams are just solid blue, and so on. If you've ever watched a true blue acara, you know that like most cichlids, they can change their color dramatically. It's awesome to watch, and it's healthy that they can do so. For all these reasons, I'm sad it's gotten hard to find them.

• Like 1

Don't get discouraged in your search! I found my wild-type blue acara by chance at my LFS and he is becoming one of my favorite fish. When you do find one, it'll be worth the wait. The electric blues are beautiful too, but I hope the wild type ones become more popular in the future. Dan's Fish has some available from time to time and, compared to some other online sources, shipping isn't crazy expensive. 

• Thanks 1