3D background

I wanted to get a 3D background for my tank which goes 50cm back, the 3D background in the widest point is roughly 18cm leaving about 32cm swimming space going back. Would this be okay for discus?? Also I’m not sure if it would make the tank looked cramped

I have a tank with discus with a similar depth (front to back) but opted for a slim background. I would imagine 32 cm would be enough, especially since the entire background isn't going to be 18 cm. Visually, it might make the tank looked cramped but I doubt the fish will mind. How long is the tank?  How deep?

On 4/25/2024 at 12:19 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I have a tank with discus with a similar depth (front to back) but opted for a slim background. I would imagine 32 cm would be enough, especially since the entire background isn't going to be 18 cm. Visually, it might make the tank looked cramped but I doubt the fish will mind. How long is the tank?  How deep?

It’s a Juwel Rio 350 and the tank dimensions are 121x51x66 (LxWXH) in cm.

Actually the slim background isn’t a bad idea at all. Do you think I would have enough space to fit a Fluval fx6 in the back of the background and be able to clip the powerhead over the background (from the back of the tank)?

On 4/25/2024 at 2:12 AM, Cjbear087 said:

Actually the slim background isn’t a bad idea at all. Do you think I would have enough space to fit a Fluval fx6 in the back of the background and be able to clip the powerhead over the background (from the back of the tank)?

Yes, the slim backgrounds from universal rocks are super slim. They are not as awesome as the 3d ones, but they don't take up any space.  They won't protrude out past the rim so anything you can clip in your tank now should be able to be clipped in after.

@Cjbear087  Make sure to consider how you're going to keep the area behind the 3D background clean.  Especially if you're going to being growing out your discus.  And, given your water... just a reminder that you don't have a lot of wiggle room before things will go sideways fast.  

I'd save the 3D background for adulthood (or ditch it entirely) and opt for something external when you're growing them out.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:21 AM, jwcarlson said:

Make sure to consider how you're going to keep the area behind the 3D background clean

For a 3d background, I would imagine if it's properly affixes with silicon one can probably avoid a large buildup of mulm and detritus behind it. To do this you'd probably just need to make sure to have a solid bead of caulk around the entire border/edge.