Betta with weird scale texture on head.

wittbitt

Hi guys,

I’ve had my betta fish for a little over a year now. He’s in a 9 gallon planted tank that is filtered and heated to about 80 degrees.  He has 2 nerite snails and bladder snail hitchhiker friends. I have the api freshwater test kit and  ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are 5.  

Anyways, my betta is a really cool and active fish and I have seen no changes in his activity but over the last few months he’s developed this weird spot on his head that I first thought was just some color change but then began noticing it looks texturally different too. I put in extra almond leaves waited a week with no change then tried Maracyn with no change and tried paracleanse thinking maybe it’s hole in the head, idk, I’m a noob. I was thinking of doing methylene blue and salt baths next but wanted to see if anyone knows exactly what this is?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

IMG_9098.jpeg

IMG_9094.jpeg

IMG_9095.jpeg

I have seen Bettas develop texture changes to the scale it can be the start of a tumor or benign growth sometimes it has a genetic component what i would do is monitor for next couple of weeks don't  treat with methylene blue or salt bath it will be unnecessary stressful and it won't have any effect then give an update if he gets worse or his behaviour changes 

On 4/24/2024 at 3:21 AM, Colu said:

I have seen Bettas develop texture changes to the scale it can be the start of a tumor or benign growth sometimes it has a genetic component what i would do is monitor for next couple of weeks don't  treat with methylene blue or salt bath it will be unnecessary stressful and it won't have any effect then give an update if he gets worse or his behaviour changes 

Thank you for responding. That’s kind of a bummer.  I will definitely hold off on any more treatment, monitor him for a few weeks, and report back if anything changes. Thanks again.