Camallanus sterilising

Just finished sterilising my stuff for the camallanus. I did 12 min bleach soak (1:9 bleach to water), rinsed everything thoroughly then soaked everything in dechlorinated water for an hour. I have two questions, on the buckets I kinda eyeballed the amount of bleach I used so I may have gone way over but I proper rinsed it and everything so this should be okay even if I did go over right? Also for the dechlorinated water soak I used around 5ml of prime in a tiny 7.5L bucket, but because there isn’t any fish in it or anything that’s fine right??

On 4/22/2024 at 4:12 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Just finished sterilising my stuff for the camallanus. I did 12 min bleach soak (1:9 bleach to water), rinsed everything thoroughly then soaked everything in dechlorinated water for an hour. I have two questions, on the buckets I kinda eyeballed the amount of bleach I used so I may have gone way over but I proper rinsed it and everything so this should be okay even if I did go over right? Also for the dechlorinated water soak I used around 5ml of prime in a tiny 7.5L bucket, but because there isn’t any fish in it or anything that’s fine right??

When I use bleach I go over board with the rinsing and decorator because it’s better safe than sorry. You aren’t going to hurt your fish because you added a ton of prime to your de-chlorination soak. Just don’t dump the water straight into the aquarium. I have started using hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach because there is less risk, but bleach is a good choice to sanitize after diseases. 

On 4/23/2024 at 5:02 PM, NikkiRae said:

When I use bleach I go over board with the rinsing and decorator because it’s better safe than sorry. You aren’t going to hurt your fish because you added a ton of prime to your de-chlorination soak. Just don’t dump the water straight into the aquarium. I have started using hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach because there is less risk, but bleach is a good choice to sanitize after diseases. 

Yep I didn’t pour any of the dechlor water into the tank o just poured it out, took everything out and then let air dry. So basically the more dechlorinator I use the better? Provided none of it goes into the tank.

On 4/23/2024 at 11:03 AM, Cjbear087 said:

Yep I didn’t pour any of the dechlor water into the tank o just poured it out, took everything out and then let air dry. So basically the more dechlorinator I use the better? Provided none of it goes into the tank.

Well, even though the excessive de-chorinator isn’t gonna hurt anything, and after using bleach, I always go overboard, that doesn’t mean the more the better. Dechlorinated is pretty expensive so it can be a waste of money. I would just use a little more than the recommended amount for your equipment soak and then test the water to see if there’s any amount of chlorine in it. If you detect chlorine, then add some more. 

On 4/23/2024 at 5:08 PM, NikkiRae said:

Well, even though the excessive de-chorinator isn’t gonna hurt anything, and after using bleach, I always go overboard, that doesn’t mean the more the better. Dechlorinated is pretty expensive so it can be a waste of money. I would just use a little more than the recommended amount for your equipment soak and then test the water to see if there’s any amount of chlorine in it. If you detect chlorine, then add some more. 

I mean I used way more than needed, but I don’t mind essentially spending a tiny bit more to be safe. I didn’t test the water but I did any hour soak with a tonne of prime AND a thorough rinse beforehand so I have no doubt the bleach is gone.

• Like 2