Boesemani Rainbow Fish

ffi2013

I wanted to start breeding my rainbow fish, could someone please confirm that I have 2 males and 2 females. Every time a see a female boesemani rainbow it looks yellow. They do spawn every morning, I want to remove the big male and the two I think are females, too a breeding tank for a week or two.

Thank YouIMG_2612.jpeg.d2236340bbb17f5fd1e84a49ee646f25.jpegIMG_2613.jpeg.43795d1489fc5c7145a6df8355f2054a.jpegIMG_2615.jpeg.10d8a83c46fcc1d54ff335f65bb758ea.jpeg

On 4/20/2024 at 11:23 AM, Tony s said:

My females are shiny olive green with a horizontal black bar from gills to tail. Mostly monochromatic. Not the bicolor 

Ya that’s what confuses me, every one who has a picture of female its yellow with black stripe down the side. They spawn my big male head will turn almost white, while the smaller I think is female will be side to side with him, I also put a mop in and found eggs. 

Maybe lots of color morphs for females. My female came from a Florida breeder via fedex. Good reputation. So, I assume it’s female. For sure doesn’t look like the male. 

and you have a female somewhere. If you have eggs. Female should be smaller and sleeker than male 

Kinda looks like this 

image.jpeg.9b92e6209b132adf6d78b8742d5b3e69.jpeg

Edited by Tony s

On 4/20/2024 at 12:23 PM, Tony s said:

Maybe lots of color morphs for females. My female came from a Florida breeder via fedex. Good reputation. So, I assume it’s female. For sure doesn’t look like the male. 

and you have a female somewhere. If you have eggs. Female should be smaller and sleeker than male 

Kinda looks like this 

image.jpeg.9b92e6209b132adf6d78b8742d5b3e69.jpeg

That’s how the females I see on other post or pictures look like.

On 4/24/2024 at 9:48 AM, mynameisnobody said:

What locale are your boesmani? I had a dozen or so Lake Aytinjo’s and the females looked better than males you see in most fish stores. 

I’m not sure, I was at a LFS around 4 years ago and they were labeled boesemani. Is there a way to tell.

@Tony s I’m pretty sure I know who you’re referring to. I live about an hour from them and it’s an impressive facility. They are very reputable for having excellent rainbows.

@ffi2013 there’s no real way to be 100% sure, but I’d assume they are a simple aquarium strain. Most rainbow fish genetics has been tampered with. There are 4-5 breeders that I’d trust 100% with genetic. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 10:51 AM, mynameisnobody said:

@Tony s I’m pretty sure I know who you’re referring to. I live about an hour from them and it’s an impressive facility. They are very reputable for having excellent rainbows.

@ffi2013 there’s no real way to be 100% sure, but I’d assume they are a simple aquarium strain. Most rainbow fish genetics has been tampered with. There are 4-5 breeders that I’d trust 100% with genetic. 

I have 6 or 7 Australian rainbows I’m going to breed. I was thinking of getting a breeding trio from imperial tropics, or ordering some from Dan’s fish. The Boesemani’s I have now are in my main planted tank, so I figured I’d leave them there, and order some breeders

On 4/24/2024 at 10:45 AM, Tony s said:

Mine were supposed to be aytinjo. From a good Florida breeder. They look like the photo above 

I’ll have to do some research and see if there’s a way I can tell