Hot climate outdoor mini pond?

jkh772

Greeting fish friends,

I’m thinking about setting up an outside mini pond. Been watching some videos but I’m worried about the heat. Outside weather in the summer is 90+ consistently. Winters can dip into the 40s but usually 60s-70s during the day. 

Any recommendations for stocking or other things? I was thinking of starting small ~ 30G and for guppy grow out/breeding.  

Would appreciate any recommendations!

Thx

I live in Fl with about the same weather temperature wise. You can do Guppy’s in a patio pond but keep these things in mind…

shade- your going to want to keep it mostly shaded, especially in the summer. Small ponds don’t take long to heat up. I have mine under a large patio umbrella but there is an hour or 2 in late afternoon when the sun gets to it

Oxygen. You’ll definitely want an air stone to keep the water oxygenated to help keep the water cooler. I even have a small HOB filter on mine (mostly for the water sound) but it help with surface agitation and discouraging mosquitoes. 

plants. So fish can escape to some shade if needed

feed less during warmer months.

• Like 1

I’m looking at setting up my first tub of guppies this year as well. I live in USDA zone 8 so I won’t try to keep them out during the winter.

If I can pump enough air into the water how warm of water have people been able to keep guppies in for short periods of time?  I have a nice spot in the shade for the tub but do have tanks in the garage that I was wondering if I could keep guppies in over the summer. 

I know that most places say the low 80s is the maximum temperature for guppies, which should be possible in the garage, but I also know in nature there are a lot more variability then 72-82* F like most websites state.