Treating what I thought was Epistylis with ParaCleanse, but might be Ich?

Kristina

Hello - 

We are new to fish keeping and our African Cichlids have developed these white spots and were flashing.  My initial research lead me to believe it was Epistylis so I did the initial dose of ParaCleanse yesterday, but now I'm worried it isn't Epi because the spots don't really seem to stand away from the body of the fish and what I really have is ICH.  I have ICH-X coming today.  Can I treat with the ICH-X today after dosing my tank yesterday with ParaCleanse?  My next dose with the ParaCleanse will be Friday.  I don't know if I should stop the ParaCleanse, keep doing both at the same time.  Just continue with ParaCleanse and then treat with ICH-X on Sunday after the 25% water change?  Raise my Temp, lower my temp.. I just feel lie no matter what I do, I'm not doing the right treatment and am afraid I'm going to lose all my fish.  I have a 55g tank.  Temp is 80.  

IMG_0438.JPG

That looks like ich to He's how you tell the difference between ich and epistylis if you dealing with ich for that you would want to treat with ick X and a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons as ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add back in essential electrolytes if it were dealing with epistylis you want treatment with ick X and maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days 

1000000051.png

1000000026.png

On 4/18/2024 at 5:32 PM, Kristina said:

So it's okay to start the ICH-X Treatment today even though I started the ParaCleanse yesterday and I should do both medications to completion?  I have ordered the Maracyn but that won't arrive until tomorrow (Friday).  Thank you for your help!

Yes I would do a water change and start treating with ick X straight away I would stop using paracleanse 

Hey folks let's remember to always ask for water parameters before recommending disease treatment if they are not included on the original post. If water quality or parameters are off, disease treatment will not be as effective, and the fish may not recover due to the additional stress of medication.

Thank you all for your responses.  I’ve been slowly losing my mind.  I did email my parameters however, attaching here for others that have not seen them.  My pH is 8.2, ammonia is 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 20 ppm, GH = 14 & KH = 12.  My tank is 55g and my temp is 80.

Today (Sunday) is the fourth treatment with the ICH-X and the Maracyn in the food.  I have lost 13 of my 15 cichlids.  How many days in a row should I continue treating the tank with the ICH-X?  Until I no longer see spots?  One of the two has no interest on eating at all.

On 4/21/2024 at 10:09 PM, Kristina said:

Today (Sunday) is the fourth treatment with the ICH-X and the Maracyn in the food.  I have lost 13 of my 15 cichlids.  How many days in a row should I continue treating the tank with the ICH-X?  Until I no longer see spots?  One of the two has no interest on eating at all.

Its unusual to lose that many fish from ich that what it looks like to me the spots don't look raised usually you would treat with ick X for three days he fact your also using an antibiotic treatment in food would cover all bases do you have any other medications to hand 

The ParaCleanse that I discontinued when starting the ICH-X as suggested above.  I have Focus and Kanaplex.  I lost another fish last night so I have just my dragon blood remaining.  I don't see any spots on him and he ate this morning.  He is still shying away from me, which he didn't do before this epidemic began, but he is swimming around the tank when I view from a distance instead of staying in the back corner.  When I do my water change today, should I also clean my canister filter, replace the sponge filter and clean my decor somehow?  

What i  would do as your not seeing spots on your last fish stop treating with ick X and do a large water change and start a course of kanaplex it's a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment dose the tank just in case there's a secondary infection going on as i said it's very unusual to lose that many fish  from ick or epistylis with the treatment you were using @Kristina