Bypass

Some of these issues are daunting and I'm glad to see you thinking through them before you get discus.  It's one of the reasons I waited so long to get mine.  I was living with my parents (late high school age) when I first wanted them, but I did a bunch of research and figured out that it just wasn't going to work for me with the amount of work required and getting close to college.  If there's any chance of you moving out soon or possibly leaving for university... that kind of thing, I would highly suggest not jumping into discus as that's a recipe for disaster.  Also make sure you're being a good housemate, I know the 'meme' is always that it's easier to ask forgiveness... but that's only if you're OK treating your parents/spouse/signficant other/etc like an animal.  So, make sure that everyone is in the loop!

The fact remains that you could just use softened water and call it good.  You have aquariums now, you're using softened water in them?  

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 7:09 PM, jwcarlson said:

Some of these issues are daunting and I'm glad to see you thinking through them before you get discus.  It's one of the reasons I waited so long to get mine.  I was living with my parents (late high school age) when I first wanted them, but I did a bunch of research and figured out that it just wasn't going to work for me with the amount of work required and getting close to college.  If there's any chance of you moving out soon or possibly leaving for university... that kind of thing, I would highly suggest not jumping into discus as that's a recipe for disaster.  Also make sure you're being a good housemate, I know the 'meme' is always that it's easier to ask forgiveness... but that's only if you're OK treating your parents/spouse/signficant other/etc like an animal.  So, make sure that everyone is in the loop!

The fact remains that you could just use softened water and call it good.  You have aquariums now, you're using softened water in them?  

Nope. I’ve been heaving buckets up and down the stairs lmao. But with a tank this scale I won’t be able to do that lol. Honestly I think I will be able to do the bypass and heater method, I’ve got a really solid plan on what I can do. Fill bucket up night before, stick an airstone and heater in, empty water next day and fill with water. Do the same thing afterwards, water change again etc etc. And obvs this is only while they are growing. Once they are 4”, I will be able to calm down a bit with the water changes.

Edited by Cjbear087

Plan on stocking a big tank lightly if you're planning on getting away with one water change per week at 4", they still have at least 2" more to grow at that size.  I wouldn't suggest trying it with hard water.  We of the hard water keep bacterial soup and discus do not do well in it without a lot of water changes!  I still do 4-5x 90% changes per week at 1 per 10 gallons and if I slack off they quite predictably get sick.

Edited by jwcarlson

On 4/11/2024 at 9:34 PM, jwcarlson said:

Plan on stocking a big tank lightly if you're planning on getting away with one water change per week at 4", they still have at least 2" more to grow at that size.  I wouldn't suggest trying it with hard water.  We of the hard water keep bacterial soup and discus do not do well in it without a lot of water changes!  I still do 4-5x 90% changes per week at 1 per 10 gallons and if I slack off they quite predictably get sick.

That is true, though they are stendker discus and are bred in hard tap water.

On 4/11/2024 at 3:48 PM, Cjbear087 said:

That is true, though they are stendker discus and are bred in hard tap water.

Mine are Stendker as well.  The tap water they're in bred in is "hard" as in not Amazon River water.  But nothing like what I have.  I also believe most discus are capable of living in hard water if it's clean.  I keep apistos and rams in this water as well.

But it absolutely has to be kept clean!

It isn't a get out of jail free card and if used as an excuse for proper maintenance it will not end well.

Edited by jwcarlson

On 4/11/2024 at 3:59 AM, Cjbear087 said:

Just found the bypass valve for my water softener and got 2 questions:

1. Will the valve bypass my hot water aswell or just my cold water?

2. How long should the run the water after bypassing to get rid of all the softener water in the pipes?

1. Depends on where your softener is plumbed into your system. Typically there are the first item in any chain so bypassing it will bypass anything upstream of it, like a hot water heater. Having the hot water heater before the softener seems antithetical to its purpose.

2. What are you looking to avoid that's in the softened water? I would imagine you'd clear the existing water from the pipes in a minute or two, tops.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:16 AM, Cjbear087 said:

So that means the hot water SHOULD come out hard with the bypass?

Yup.

If all you are looking to do is boost GH, then add some Seachem equilibrium

Softened water itself won't harm fish.

Edited by tolstoy21