Common pleco not growing??

I have had my 4 inch common pleco for over 6 months now he has yet to grow even an inch. I have tried putting him in over 3 different tanks to see if there was something wrong with his tank for some strange reason. All my water levels are good I do frequent water changes. He has a good variety of different foods available to him(pretty much every thing I could find). I am wondering if he has some sort of dwarfism. Let me know what you think.

I'm not convinced that common plecos should even be in the hobby.  IMO the best surprise would be that it's a female bristlenose, rubberlip, or otherwise much, much smaller pleco.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:01 PM, JosiahBass said:

It has it upside down for some reason. IMG_5221.jpeg.2a3f99f5274ca489b0c6cef2307b3ee3.jpeg

Doesn't look like a common to me.  Spotted rubber lip, maybe?

On 4/9/2024 at 3:01 PM, jwcarlson said:

I'm not convinced that common plecos should even be in the hobby.  IMO the best surprise would be that it's a female bristlenose, rubberlip, or otherwise much, much smaller pleco.

I don't think it's a rubber lip from being able to see it up close and in person. And in some cases I agree for most people common pleco's are not a good choice. I got him originally to grow out to live with my predatory fish (I don't think that's going to happen).

After looking it up I would actually would say he probably looks more like a spotted rubber nose than a common.

On 4/9/2024 at 3:01 PM, jwcarlson said:

It's been 25 years since I had a common pleco, but it doesn't look anything like the ones I used to have.

What kind of predator fish are you planning on him living with?  It's takes a pretty big fish to eat a 5-6" bristlenose or similar pleco.

It was going to be a bass which is why I don't think it is going to work. I'll probably end up rescuing, one of those giant common pleco you see in the pet store tanks from fish trade-ins. If I decide to get a pleco again.

On 4/9/2024 at 3:02 PM, JosiahBass said:

It was going to be a bass which is why I don't think it is going to work. I'll probably end up rescuing, one of those giant common pleco you see in the pet store tanks from fish trade-ins. If I decide to get a pleco again.

Hope you've got a huge tank! 🙂

On 4/9/2024 at 11:19 AM, JosiahBass said:

I have had my 4 inch common pleco for over 6 months now he has yet to grow even an inch. I have tried putting him in over 3 different tanks to see if there was something wrong with his tank for some strange reason. All my water levels are good I do frequent water changes. He has a good variety of different foods available to him(pretty much every thing I could find). I am wondering if he has some sort of dwarfism. Let me know what you think.

From what little I know, my LFS has told me plecos are slow growing fish and given their lifespans, could be years before they hit full size.