Can I use Expel P in a large 125 gallon aquarium?

No, certain worms are affected by different meds.  Salt can help as it messes with the abilities to osmoregulate, I believe.  Basically drawing water out of them.  I'll confess to not being any sort of expert here.  

My opinion is that parasites are in every population and typically the fish can deal with them.  Stess or other issues cause the fish to fall victim and start exhibiting symptoms.  You are trying to force them to pass the adults and you suck them out before they can reanimate.  Parasite eggs you cannot kill, so that's why you need multiple treatments.  And hopefully also vacuuming out the eggs as much as possible too.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:47 PM, jwcarlson said:

No, certain worms are affected by different meds.  Salt can help as it messes with the abilities to osmoregulate, I believe.  Basically drawing water out of them.  I'll confess to not being any sort of expert here.  

My opinion is that parasites are in every population and typically the fish can deal with them.  Stess or other issues cause the fish to fall victim and start exhibiting symptoms.  You are trying to force them to pass the adults and you suck them out before they can reanimate.  Parasite eggs you cannot kill, so that's why you need multiple treatments.  And hopefully also vacuuming out the eggs as much as possible too.

Gotcha that makes sense. I’ll get some salt and do the best I can. I am just so stressed about all this. And it just compounds with real life stress! My aquarium hobby has been really struggling in the last year and losing one of the archers was already a major gut punch. I just want to do all I can right by these guys. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 8:47 PM, jwcarlson said:

No improvement. Moving the archer to QT and hoping for the best with an antibacterial treatment paired with continuing for parasites just in case.

• Sad 1

Onto next steps. He’s almost certainly not going to make it. What should I do. This is now something contagious, seemingly only hitting the archers, so what can I do to figure this out? Should I try to preserve the fish for a necropsy? How can I find someone who’d be able to do that? Anyone know anything about this?

im so clueless and stressed on this. I would give so much to have Ich, columnaris, or any other normal, common disease once in my hobby instead of ambiguous strange stuff like this. It’s so crushing!

Sorry you’re going through it! It’s so frustrating when you just want to do right by your pets but you can’t identify the mystery issue and therefore are just shooting in the dark. 

I don’t remember if they’ve chimed in, but I’ll tag @Colu and see if they can help. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2024 at 11:18 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Sorry you’re going through it! It’s so frustrating when you just want to do right by your pets but you can’t identify the mystery issue and therefore are just shooting in the dark. 

I don’t remember if they’ve chimed in, but I’ll tag @Colu and see if they can help. 

It is indeed really tough. I really love these amazing and intelligent animals and I just feel all kinds of awful for them.

Have you notice any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out sunken belly white stringy poop red worms protruding from anus like in these pictures loss of appetite and is this only affecting your archer fish @Gannon

1000000313.png

1000000312.png

1000000307.png

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 5:36 AM, Colu said:

Have you notice any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out sunken belly white stringy poop red worms protruding from anus like in these pictures loss of appetite and is this only affecting your archer fish @Gannon

1000000313.png

1000000312.png

1000000307.png

Only major loss of appetite and lethargy for both of the archer fish to struggle and die from this over the last 2 months.

the others spat out food once but that’s when I treated with expel p which is normal from what k understand. 

On 4/15/2024 at 2:42 PM, Gannon said:

Only major loss of appetite and lethargy for both of the archer fish to struggle and die from this over the last 2 months.

the others spat out food once but that’s when I treated with expel p which is normal from what k understand. 

What I would do is treat the tank the archer fish were in with three more courses of expel p one week apart after 24hr do a thorough gravel vac to remove as many eggs and expelled parasite black out the tank during treatment as levamisole is a light sensitive medication 

On 4/15/2024 at 8:49 PM, Gannon said:

Perhaps it could be some kind of digestive blockage? Maybe this could be linked to the yawning, the lethargy, the lack of eating, but not obvious wasting?

What are you feeding them and how often 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 2:51 PM, Colu said:

What I would do is treat the tank the archer fish were in with three more courses of expel p one week apart after 24hr do a thorough gravel vac to remove as many eggs and expelled parasite black out the tank during treatment as levamisole is a light sensitive medication 

Blackout for the first 24 hours or whole treatment since I've been told 24 hours. And I'll do my best with this, thanks. I am concerned about the archers since in the last week of expel p treatment they have not wanted to eat and have been acting more flighty and upset so I'm a bit heasitant to continue for so long but ill give it a go. At least for 1-2 more weeks. 

On 4/15/2024 at 8:53 PM, Gannon said:

Blackout for the first 24 hours or whole treatment since I've been told 24 hours. And I'll do my best with this, thanks. I am concerned about the archers since in the last week of expel p treatment they have not wanted to eat and have been acting more flighty and upset so I'm a bit heasitant to continue for so long but ill give it a go. At least for 1-2 more weeks. 

Just for 24hr till you do a water change to remove the medication if you are dealing with internal parasite it can take a minimum of 4 full courses of treatment with levamisole you could try adding a small amount of garlic guard to there food to try and simulate there appetite try feeding some live foods such  black worms daphnia 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 2:57 PM, Colu said:

Just for 24hr till you do a water change to remove the medication if you are dealing with internal parasite it can take a minimum of 4 full courses of treatment with levamisole you could try adding a small amount of garlic guard to there food to try and simulate there appetite try feeding some live foods such  black worms daphnia 

I'll see if I can source live food anywhere but I've been unable to in the past, at least beyond insects like dubia roaches and mealworms intended for reptiles but these guys may eat on occasion. Garlic guard is on the way for this very purpose so glad that was a good choice. 

• Like 1