Not a Planaria? Please help

Hi,

I have had this little worm thing on the glass of my tank.  It has been too small to see details until now.  I put a suction cup over it to isolate it until I can figure this out.  I have attached a picture, although not a great own.  There does not appear to be a triangular head so I don't think it is a Planaria.  I looks like it might have 2 little antena looking protrusions on one end.  Any thoughts about what it might be?1712353779749.jpg.42a562ac3d8a9aea6ed4a03b1a2a3dc3.jpg

On 4/5/2024 at 3:57 PM, Guppysnail said:

Picture is to fuzzy for me to tell. Not all planarians have triangle heads. 

C3083887-72E5-4C99-AB08-08C94566E102.png

47218330-30B9-4814-ABE5-96C56529B728.jpeg

Thank you for this.  How does one remove a Planaria from your tank?  I hear they can divide if you don't do it correctly.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:22 PM, Little Guys said:

Thank you for this.  How does one remove a Planaria from your tank?  I hear they can divide if you don't do it correctly.

If there is one there is more. You can use a melamine pad or cloth to squish on the glass and wipe thoroughly.

fenbendazole and no planaria work if you have no snails. If there are snails no chemical method is safe. 

There are glass planaria traps but you never get all of them and the traps only work if the planaria are hungry or it’s baited with something like raw shrimp it may attract them. 

• Like 1

It's probably a detritus worm. Even if it was a flat worm why are you in such a hurry to remove it from the tank? Is it even causing problems?

There's tens of thousands of species of annelids and flatworms that are perfectly harmless and help break down the waste in your tank. Very few of those species are problematic.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My animals are not healthy, apparently I don't have enough minerals.  I am not in a hurry as much as I am trying to learn what I can. I uarantined it with a large suction cup because I did not know what it was or if it is harmful.   I obviously need to cut down on feeding.  Again, more education, if I don't feed for several days in order to help my snails and shrimp, how long can fish go without feeding?

Edited by Little Guys
additional details

Overfeeding will often cause worms that usually hide in the substrate to come out and be directly visible. With fish in the tank it's highly unlikely you'll have problems with any worm species as fish love eating them and will naturally control their numbers. Most people with planaria or worm problems have shrimp only tanks where there is no predation pressure on problem invertebrates.

As to your other issues I can't tell you much without water parameters and what species you're keeping but mature fish can go for at least a week without food and will probably start seriously hunting your worms if you fast them for a couple days.

• Like 2