Will this be enough turnover

Hi, soon I am going to buy a Juwel Rio 350 to house 7ish discus. The tank comes with a built in sponge filter and a power head with a flow of 1000lph (around 3x turn over). I have heard discus need 4.5-5x turnover. I am trying to refrain from buying a canister filter as 1. I will have to cut out holes in the top of the tank and 2. They are quite expensive. So I was thinking, could I buy the same power head as the one it comes with and put it in the tank with the current one, making a flow rate of 2000lph, with a 5.7x turnover. Would this work? And would I have to buy a new sponge filter to attach it to or can it go on its own? Will it overrun the sponge filter? Here is the link to the power head: https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/equipment/filtering/pumps/eccoflow It is the Eccoflow 1000. Thanks

On 4/5/2024 at 10:49 AM, Cjbear087 said:

Hi, soon I am going to buy a Juwel Rio 350 to house 7ish discus. The tank comes with a built in sponge filter and a power head with a flow of 1000lph (around 3x turn over). I have heard discus need 4.5-5x turnover. I am trying to refrain from buying a canister filter as 1. I will have to cut out holes in the top of the tank and 2. They are quite expensive. So I was thinking, could I buy the same power head as the one it comes with and put it in the tank with the current one, making a flow rate of 2000lph, with a 5.7x turnover. Would this work? And would I have to buy a new sponge filter to attach it to or can it go on its own? Will it overrun the sponge filter? Here is the link to the power head: https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/equipment/filtering/pumps/eccoflow It is the Eccoflow 1000. Thanks

I have two juwel aquarium and the filter are under powered when you have all the filter pads the flow a lot  less than what they say   that why I removed the build in filter and use canister filter on my tanks if your going to use the build in filter I would use an  internal filter at the other side of the tank to prevent dead spots you can get an  eccoflow 1500 power head if I remember rightly is compatible with your filter 

Edited by Colu

On 4/5/2024 at 11:52 AM, Colu said:

I have two juwel aquarium and the filter are under powered when you have all the filter pads the flow a lot  less than what they say   that why I removed the build in filter and use canister filter on my tanks if your going to use the build in filter I would  internal filter at the other side of the tank to prevent dead spots you can get an  eccoflow 1500 power head if I remember rightly is compatible with your filter 

I think I’m just going to buy a fx6. Do you have any tips for making even cuts in the lid and removing excess silicone off the glass?

My discus lived in a 75 for over a year with nothing but two double stacked, large ACO sponge filters.  I eventually added a HOB, but they could have lived indefinitely with sponges so long as the tank is well maintained.  I'm not familiar with the tank or filter you're talking about, but just wanted to provide context.  A TON of discus are raised from fry to adulthood in tanks with nothing more than air driven sponge filters.

• Like 2