Would this work for a quarantine tank?

Recently setup two 75 gallons and four 40 gallons, currently cycling and planting them for the next month or two.

When I am finally ready to add fish would filling one of my unused 40 gallon breeders halfway be better than using a 10 gallon for quarantine?

I used to use 10 gallons for quarantine but I want to strike a balance between giving the fish more swimming space and not spending too much on meds(if needed).

The 40 breeder is only 16 inches tall so im wondering if 8 inches at half filled would be too low and stress fish out.

I should mention I plan to go with all very small fish like corydoras, ember tetras, keyhole and apisto cichlids.

• Like 1

Honestly I would treat it the same as the other 40g. What you’re really doing is watching and waiting for a month to see if something shows up. If it does, you can always lower the water at that point and treat. Hopefully nothing shows up.

Just my humble opinion here. Most meds are dosed per 10g. Even a 40g breeder at half full is still 20g so you’d be using double the amount of meds to treat the tank. In the grand scheme of things, the fish are only in the quarantine tank for a very short time. If it were me, I’d keep the 10g as my quarantine and put the 40g to better use as permanent breeding setups or as just regular aquarium 

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:12 PM, FLFishChik said:

the fish are only in the quarantine tank for a very short time.

Technically, quarantine should last for 4 weeks. Some problems won’t show up for at least 2. Then getting them through it takes longer. A full 4 weeks makes sure nothing is coming. But, yes, you can do that in a 10 just as well😀

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 10:12 PM, FLFishChik said:

Just my humble opinion here. Most meds are dosed per 10g. Even a 40g breeder at half full is still 20g so you’d be using double the amount of meds to treat the tank. In the grand scheme of things, the fish are only in the quarantine tank for a very short time. If it were me, I’d keep the 10g as my quarantine and put the 40g to better use as permanent breeding setups or as just regular aquarium 

Okay that makes sense, it's been awhile since I setup new tanks so I'm in that overthinking stage just tryna relearn everything again.

Thank you for the advice 🙂

On 4/1/2024 at 10:17 PM, Tony s said:

Technically, quarantine should last for 4 weeks. Some problems won’t show up for at least 2. Then getting them through it takes longer. A full 4 weeks makes sure nothing is coming. But, yes, you can do that in a 10 just as well😀

Yeah I typically used to quarantine for a month, I used to dose the trio right away as well but I seen that cory does not reccomend that, but rather to watch them closely and dose disease as it presents itself.

Edited by JamieLikesPlants
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 8:27 PM, JamieLikesPlants said:

I plan on going with ember tetras and corydoras and a few dwarf cichlids, only one group at a time though, not all at once.

With the fish all being that small, I would use the 10. If something does show up and you need to treat, no need to use twice as many meds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:27 PM, JamieLikesPlants said:

I plan on going with ember tetras and corydoras and a few dwarf cichlids, only one group at a time though, not all at once

10 would be perfect then. With that much water wasn’t sure what size you were thinking. Geophagus and severums would need bigger 

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:35 PM, JamieLikesPlants said:

Yeah I love stocking big tanks with little fish lol

It’s a great look. But you need a ton of little fish. 
try these. My daughters favorite are brilliant green rasboras. Such a tight scooler

Or for smaller. Try these

• Like 1
  • Love 1