Mystery bucket ammonia

face

Ok this story started when I set up my aquarium a few months ago hadn’t had one in a few years but got the tank filled with water  and then tested everything got an ammonia reading no fish or anything that could cause ammonia so I thought it could be the tank itself maybe something on the glass but no it was the bucket I was using i take tap water put it in the bucket and immediately get a .25 ammonia reading  easy fix right get a new bucket so I did that did a water change everything good a few months later do a water change and boom ammonia in the tank.25 ish test water in the bucket there’s my ammonia it’s a brand new food grade bucket how is there ammonia coming from it? And not a little if left for a few days it go to crazy levels the test turned black blue lol I’m honestly stumped no ammonia in my tap water or in a plastic bottle of tap water left to sit and as far as I can tell it really is ammonia because it turns into nitrate in the aquarium just wondering if anybody has ever had something like that happen before I’m going to try to bleach the bucket and see if the helps because buckets are cheap until you have to replace them every water change lolIMG_1381.jpeg.f0d48d5d7600031c78896256c4ed02d7.jpeg

Edited by face

On 4/2/2024 at 7:13 AM, Guppysnail said:

Try resting tap water for 24 hours in a glass.  It’s most likely coming from your tap.

Tried that nothing no ammonia 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:03 AM, face said:

Tried that nothing no ammonia 

Did you dechlorinate the resting water in the glass?  If it’s chloramine it will leave an ammonia residue.  
Try again using your dechlorinator rest and test again.  Food grade plastics do not leech ammonia so it’s something not plastic related. 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:35 AM, Guppysnail said:

Did you dechlorinate the resting water in the glass?  If it’s chloramine it will leave an ammonia residue.  
Try again using your dechlorinator rest and test again.  Food grade plastics do not leech ammonia so it’s something not plastic related. 

That's my thought unless it's the same plastic that was being used for the pond liners somebody was talking about a month ago 

Will try but the water in the bucket doesn’t have to be dechlorinate to show ammonia and that much ammonia would be toxic to drink and the water report said chlorine 

Well after all the tests an everything I just ended up bleaching the bucket and that seems to get rid of whatever was causing it things just have to be strange sometimes lol