EBA’s have eggs! What now?

J3azy

I got a couple of EBA’s recently and noticed the following over the last few days:

- The female EBA (Assumption based on washed out color in  face) began hiding in a corner over a rock

- A 2nd EBA (likely male) is keeping other fish away from the area 

While looking at the female EBA just now I spotted some eggs!

What now? I’m new to fish keeping and am not sure what to do.  

IMG_3710.jpeg

On 3/28/2024 at 2:11 PM, J3azy said:

I got a couple of EBA’s recently and noticed the following over the last few days:

- The female EBA (Assumption based on washed out color in  face) began hiding in a corner over a rock

- A 2nd EBA (likely male) is keeping other fish away from the area 

While looking at the female EBA just now I spotted some eggs!

What now? I’m new to fish keeping and am not sure what to do.  

IMG_3710.jpeg

What size aquarium are the EBA in?  I ask that because if aquarium is a 20gal or smaller it's going to be rough for other inhabitants.. I personally suggest letting the parents rear the fry but be aware they may eat the eggs because it's their first spawn. Now is the time to figure out what you want to feed the fry when they become free-swimming. Most start with baby brine shrimp which is one of the most nutritional first foods for most baby fish. Some cichlid fry will eat microorganisms from plants off sponge filters also pulverized flake food or pellets may be accepted. What other fish do you have in the aquarium?

On 3/28/2024 at 2:50 PM, Tlindsey said:

What size aquarium are the EBA in?  I ask that because if aquarium is a 20gal or smaller it's going to be rough for other inhabitants.. I personally suggest letting the parents rear the fry but be aware they may eat the eggs because it's their first spawn. Now is the time to figure out what you want to feed the fry when they become free-swimming. Most start with baby brine shrimp which is one of the most nutritional first foods for most baby fish. Some cichlid fry will eat microorganisms from plants off sponge filters also pulverized flake food or pellets may be accepted. What other fish do you have in the aquarium?

Also like to add water quality is important so don't overfeed and more water changes should be done. 

• Like 1

They’re in a 75G with some red head tapajos and a red severum. I think I’ll see how it goes with the parents rearing the fry. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1