Plates in cooler water.

I have some breeding Platies in a 20 gallon long with a TON of babies. I’ve thought about moving them to the 40 gallon breeder with my musk turtle for more room and built in population control. The tank stays between 65 - 70 degrees. Would that be too cold for the Platies?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the tank has a reasonable amount of flow being a turtle tank. I’ve got it dialed down slow enough to keep my Florida Flag fish happy, but wasn’t sure how they take to higher flow than the tidal 35 they have now.

• Like 1

Platys will do their own population control. They have no parental instincts . I have a platy only tank with one betta. She doesn’t count, she thinks she’s a platy. The population has stabilized around 30 on a 20g tank. It has anywhere from 2 yr old adults to a couple day old fry. I use mostly hornwort for both fry protection and to help with nitrates. It’s also a really stable tank. Counting population and parameters. 
the hornwort is great, it’s a floater and when it gets overgrown, just pull most of it and chuck it. Keeping a piece to put back in. Same for algae if it gets any. Find a clean piece and keep it. Discard the rest 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:56 AM, RetroFeesh said:

The tank stays between 65 - 70 degrees. Would that be too cold for the Platies?

That depends on the platy. Variatus platys can go lower, but the standard platy likes it 74 or so

@RetroFeesh yes, around 30 platys. With regular water changes. And hornwort. They build up to a point and usually around the third generation the numbers stop growing. Now with 30, it takes a bit more gravel vaccing than the normal tank 🤣

• Haha 1

I did try sexing and sorting the platys when they first had tons of babies. but they keep having them. so, I put them all back together and let them live their platy lives in piece.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:47 AM, Tony s said:

yes, around 30 platys.

Agreed that the population eventually levels out. I have probably 50-60 endlers in a 10 gallon. Sounds crazy, but it’s also an aquaponics tank and is well balanced. Started with 1 male endler and a lone female guppy I had. Threw them in there to see what would happen. Population boomed, but has leveled off and been the same over the past year or so. Like you, I also have all the sizes in there. Pretty interesting to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1