Oscar water

I have a 75 gal. I set up in mid Jan. Could someone say what Gh and Kh Oscars like I've had them before back in the 70s but don't recall these. I'm about ready for the fish

temp 80f Ph 7.6 same as tap ammonia 0 Trite 0 Trate 20 . Cycled with Dr Tim's and  Blue Shark Colony. Have been feeding tank Dr Tim's every few days up to 2ppm after 24hrs ammo=0 trites=0 trates go up when they get to 30 to 40 I do a 50% water change. I don't know my current Gh or Kh test kit should be here Mon. Anything I missed feel free to let know these old memory banks are not what they used to be.

Thanks Airborne

I wouldn’t even stress it. Your tank is obviously converting the ammonia. Throw that Oscar in there, and bust out the Camaro from the garage and put it in the driveway 😎

I’ve tested gH and kH literally once with a test kit. Multi test strips get used every once in a blue moon just to make sure we’re on track. Instead of chasing numbers, I just keep everything consistent. Especially since my water is super soft. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2

They will adapt to almost anything as far at kh and gh goes I’ve kept them in my very soft water and I know people who keep them in liquid rock they do good  regardless. keeping your water as close to your tap as  is best with them because your going to be doing lots of water changes lol 

• Like 1

Oscars are traditionally soft water fish, though many have been bred for the aquarium trade in all sorts of water. They can be (not necessarily will be) more susceptible to HITH (hole-in-the-head) with harder water w/more mineral content. HITH can also show up with moderate nitrates. I like to keep my nitrates below 10 in my Oscar tank at all times.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 10:28 AM, Tlindsey said:

This is crucial for keeping a Oscar from getting infected from HITH. Great advice given. 

Thanks to all who replied. The only reason I let the nitrate get so high is no fish. I will keep it down now. Now I know I read in  the rules NO foul content did someone say bust out the Camaro   2015 mustang GT

• Like 1