How much air volume does my UGF actually need?

Tanked

This is actually a 2 part question:

1. How much air volume does a UGF in a 29 gallon actually need?
  2. Does the Co-op dual outlet pump put out 1.6 L/min air flow per outlet or in total?

I've been running a separate dual outlet pump in each lift tube, If I'm not actually getting twice the benefit, I can remove one pump.

Without question, replacing the stock air riser tubes with Easy Flow kits with DIY adapters will significantly increase flow….

Now if you want increased flow for the sake of increased flow, great…

But Iirc, I read where replacing standard air riser tubes with powerheads that significantly increases flow well over what an easy flow kit does, you are only increasing effective biofiltration by about 20%.     Ie, increase. In biofiltration is not linear to increases in flow..

Fwiw I run my ugf in my 29 with a uniclife UL 40 dual output pump. One output per air riser.

Edited by Pepere
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 4:26 PM, Pepere said:

Without question, replacing the stock air riser tubes with Easy Flow kits with DIY adapters will significantly increase flow….

Now if you want increased flow for the sake of increased flow, great…

But Iirc, I read where replacing standard air riser tubes with powerheads that significantly increases flow well over what an easy flow kit does, you are only increasing effective biofiltration by about 20%.     Ie, increase. In biofiltration is not linear to increases in flow..

Fwiw I run my ugf in my 29 with a uniclife UL 40 dual output pump. One output per air riser.

The filter is old enough that attempting to remove/adapt the risers may prove fatal.  The tank also has a HOB, so the UGF is not actually needed.  I just like dual filtration The question arises because I am looking to replace a failing  Aquatop, and Aquatop doesn't seem to offer replacement parts on air pumps.

In retrospect, while I would like to confirm the volume of air per outlet on the Co-op pump, I already have dual filtration, and I don't really need to double down again.  Thanks.

On 3/21/2024 at 3:18 PM, Tanked said:

The filter is old enough that attempting to remove/adapt the risers may prove fatal.

If they are standard penn plax type ugf, adapting is very easy.

• Thanks 1