Oryzias woworae- Daisy’s ricefish

My friend Jen from Smallworld Aquatics gave me 8 of these to put in my ADF tank and breed for BAP points. I’ve only had them for 2 days along with a terrible cold 😣 so I do not have a lot of info on them. 

she sent me this photo which shows a momma with eggs.  You can see them as she carries them around to deposit. Pretty cool. 934D8FF8-14D8-4BEB-9E82-304946D961C2.jpeg.7b194a88a795497dacd62d38316c0d9e.jpeg

Neither her photo or my photo show the beautiful blue in the body. Once I get well I’ll play with lights to see if I can get some good photos and videos. 

52DB68A6-8845-4327-B6A8-A3CE7BF587F4.jpeg

• Love 5

One of my little girls had eggs today. She carries them outside the body behind her anal fin. They are TINY but if you blow the photo up REALLY big you can see them.  
I pulled her to s specimen cup with some moss for her to lay her eggs on. 
Weird angle on photo. Looking up from underneath the spec cup.  03507ADA-3043-4E82-9FDE-4F19432E34BF.png.d1099b0917d4079a57a3a51f59a64c83.png

This is from the web. 40A6BEBC-5F4D-478E-9959-F6D19D4F0370.jpeg.96e404f728f659a3fbf56b99ef6b8b8e.jpeg
Jen said at 74-75 it takes hers about 10 days to hatch. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I keep and breed these, but it's colony breeding, so yield/pop growth is very low. They're a really underappreciated fish, i do agree with you on that. The blue and red and silver, pop!

The adults generally don't depredate the eggs, but they do eat the babies. And they're pretty good at it, so even if you have mops or a jungle of hornwort, you'll lose most of the babies before they get big enough to not get eaten. 

I've had decent success leaving them outside during the warmest part of summer. 50 gallon tote, with hornwort, java moss, some rocks at the bottom, and a few water hyacinth or water lettuce (the real one not dwarf). Some shrimps, some snails, and let 'em be. I'm sure i'd get much better survival if I protect the babies, just haven't had to. Use a heater to keep temps above 65-70 when nights get cool, bring them in early. 

• Like 1

Three fry still going after light on this morning.  Watched the parent group swim all around them paying no attention.

watched a fry swim under water lettuce right into the mouth of one of my frogs floating up there 🫤

So I rescued them to a German breeding ring into the cory grow out tank. Water is a good deal softer in that tank so I hope they can adjust at such an early stage 🤞🏻They look good so far. 

My frogs like to climb inside the breeding boxes, rings and nets.  I learned that the hard way.  That’s why a different tank. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1