Water Changes

jodip

On 3/14/2024 at 10:45 AM, Tony s said:

Yeah, I so need to set up a system. Doing 260 gallons of water changes takes me all week with the 30 gallon can. 

Getting mine set up was huge. Far and away the single best time saver I have going. It is something you can do in stages. Don't forget about planning how water leaves the tanks. Drilled tanks are 100% the way to go. Yes you can build an over the rim overflow, but they're finicky, and prone to a) clogging and b) hoses coming loose at the back, and after cleaning up a few floods you quickly find ways to drill tanks without taking them down. 

On 3/14/2024 at 10:15 AM, jodip said:

We do also have a beta with the mollies. He came from petsmart.   They all get along great which is awesome.   I'll still go to my lfs first. I prefer to support a small business over big chains.  I didn't even know we had a lfs until after my first purchase from petsmart.   

Eventually, the mollies will be in the 29 gallon and the beta will have the 10 gallon of himself. 

Yea I wish I could have a small fish store around me but not really anything in under 2 hours except a place that is a under 1 hour drive but doesn’t have that many good fish that I like, this topic is going in a different direction so I will stop there but that’s all I wanted to say about that.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:35 PM, Phirefase said:

They also make a dolly for the brute trash cans if you want to be able to wheel the whole thing around.

and a lid to keep things out. dust primarily. but you never know. 

On 3/14/2024 at 12:29 PM, jwcarlson said:

two 63 gallon barrels with heat controllers

yeah I was thinking about 2 100g with a 2-3" connection drilled in between. I'm trying to figure out how to get a garden house outlet upstairs in my house. without the wife having issues with it. I'd do a complete room in the basement, but then i'd be by myself most of the time. Not at all appealing to me. I do much better with somebody around

On 3/14/2024 at 1:19 PM, Tony s said:

and a lid to keep things out. dust primarily. but you never know. 

yeah I was thinking about 2 100g with a 2-3" connection drilled in between. I'm trying to figure out how to get a garden house outlet upstairs in my house. without the wife having issues with it. I'd do a complete room in the basement, but then i'd be by myself most of the time. Not at all appealing to me. I do much better with somebody around

I have 2 of the rubbermaid stock tanks and they come with a bulkhead in the bottom (if you get it, buy a spanner to tighten them, they leak if you don't). One of my saltwater buddies has 2 roto-mold containers (75 gal each I think) that also has spots for bulkheads. I'd recommend looking at saltwater forums for tank storage since they seem to do more of it than freshwater folks.

For getting the garden hose outlet upstairs, my first thought is to run some pex tube from the basement to under a vanity in the upstairs, throw on a quick connect fitting for garden hoses and have a hose that you run from the vanity to your tanks. I would also run a wire with the pex to turn the pump in the basement on and off too. Granted this is all without knowing much about your house.

• 2 weeks later...

The 29 gallon is coming along. Plants have been growing well. There has been some melt, but a lot of new growth. I did get a glass lid and an aquariumcoop light.  Had a few snails pop up and it's been fun to watch them multiply and find a new one almost every day.  Have had some hair algae pop up and a slime mold, but I read the slime mold is harmless, so for now not removing it unless someone says otherwise.  

20240323_183048.jpg

20240323_142200.jpg

20240323_142134.jpg

20240323_142119.jpg

20240323_142148.jpg

• Love 2

Thank you! I'm super happy with how it's turned out so far.  This is kind of a trial run for a huge jump in size later on. We plan to put about a 210 gallon in eventually.   Just wanted to get our fingers wet so to speak.  I'd like to propagate some of these plants when we get closer to installing the big tank.  I already have an obsession with outdoor gardens so this is right up my ally.  I have a fairly large lighted seed starting setup on racking in my basement so I could propagate on those racks when the time comes.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:53 AM, jodip said:

I'd like to propagate some of these plants when we get closer to installing the big tank.  I already have an obsession with outdoor gardens so this is right up my ally.  I have a fairly large lighted seed starting setup on racking in my basement so I could propagate on those racks when the time comes.

There's a channel on YouTube, Aquarium Plant Lab, that does a lot of emersed growth/propagation that sounds like it might be something you might be interested in.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:42 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

There's a channel on YouTube, Aquarium Plant Lab, that does a lot of emersed growth/propagation that sounds like it might be something you might be interested in.

Indeed I would! Thank you for sharing!