Introducing myself

Hi, I’m not new to freshwater fish keeping but I’m also not an expert. I could need some advice with my fish, I currently have 4 Cory Catfish, 4 neon tetras and 3 cherry barbs in a 28 gallon tank. I’ve raised all but one Cory from fry that I got for free from a pet store. I’m currently raising 2 Sanke Swordtail fry. Does anyone think that this tank is overstocked?

• Like 1

welcome to the forum! No, I think you're way understocked. to give you an idea of what you could go up to. Try playing with aqadvisor.com. this will give you a basic understanding of where you're at. and it's a bit on the conservative side

Edited by Tony s

Do you think that I could add 2 or 3 otocinclus to my tank. I have an algae problem which keeps spreading all over my tank. The snails aren’t doing a dent in it.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 9:25 PM, Max W. said:

Do you think that I could add 2 or 3 otocinclus to my tank. I have an algae problem which keeps spreading all over my tank. The snails aren’t doing a dent in it.

Welcome to the forum, I think u might be ok with that, especially since you are super understocked. What kinda snails are you speaking of and what algae @Max W.?

I’m currently unaware of what snails I have. I know I have 3 rams horn snails and 2 other snails. Can you identify them for me? I think they are a species of pest snail.

IMG_0661.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes , you could absolutely add otocinclus. But I’d probably do around 5 or so, they tend to be social animals. They will go after any surface algae. They’re so good at it, it doesn’t take them much time to eliminate it. In which case you’re going to have to feed them regularly. They can take algae wafers. But prefer veggies. You can cut zucchini rounds, blanch them in microwave for a bit. Then stab with a fork and drop in. Healthy otos should have a pudgy belly. If not they actually starving. Watch for this when purchasing as well 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 10:00 PM, Max W. said:

I’ve just identified the snail. It’s a bladder snail

Yeah, they never get big enough to do anything,really. That’s one of the reasons they’re pest snails, not much value. For algae control you’ll want either mystery snails or nerite snails. They both get much bigger 

• Like 1

Haha, me too! I am pretty new here and I think the biggest critique we fishkeepers have is if our tanks are overstocked... one mentor told me this morning that 'if you're questioning if your tank is overstocked, you're a good fishkeeper.' I think she meant that always keeping space and comfortability in mind for your fish shows not only that you care, but that you care enough to learn! 

Super happy to meet so many nice folk on here, I think you will be as well!!

Also, even if they are 'pest snails' those bladder snails are SOOOO CUTE!!!!! I am just a pro-snail person though, I love them so so so much. 

How long is your light on for? Reducing light can help limit algae. You can also get a toothbrush and twirl it around (kinda like spaghetti) and manually remove the algae. Weekly water changes help a lot too, I find that doing a water change after I remove the algae reduces it the most. Floaters help too, they thrive so much they end up outcompeting algae for nutrients (and light!). But hey, take the algae growth as a compliment from nature: you have a great and healthy ecosystem in your tank! 

I second what some other folk have said about mystery snails. My baby boy is a month old (less than an inch big) and already has been cleaning up biofilm, dirt, and algae like a beast!!! You'd be surprised how fast those guys can go. And you're pretty safe having multiple, since they aren't hermaphrodites (they likely won't take over your tank!! I have no idea how to tell the difference of males and females, though)... I haven't had nerite snails before but I hear they do a great job. They are hermaphrodites, but their eggs can only hatch in brackish conditions, so they also won't overtake your tank. I've also heard amano shrimp are good at algae clean up, some swear they're the best... but I personally have no experience.

Best of luck dude!!!!!!

• Love 1

You can also feed otos cooked spinach, they adore that. Cucumbers, zucchini, spinach, leafy greens, and peas are good veggies for all algae eaters. Most of em willingly accept algae wafers too.

Edited by clownbaby
clarification
  • Love 1

Haha, me too! I am pretty new here and I think the biggest critique we fishkeepers have is if our tanks are overstocked... one mentor told me this morning that 'if you're questioning if your tank is overstocked, you're a good fishkeeper.' I think she meant that always keeping space and comfortability in mind for your fish shows not only that you care, but that you care enough to learn! 

Super happy to meet so many nice folk on here, I think you will be as well!!

Also, even if they are 'pest snails' those bladder snails are SOOOO CUTE!!!!! I am just a pro-snail person though, I love them so so so much. 

How long is your light on for? Reducing light can help limit algae. You can also get a toothbrush and twirl it around (kinda like spaghetti) and manually remove the algae. Weekly water changes help a lot too, I find that doing a water change after I remove the algae reduces it the most. Floaters help too, they thrive so much they end up outcompeting algae for nutrients (and light!). But hey, take the algae growth as a compliment from nature: you have a great and healthy ecosystem in your tank! 

I second what some other folk have said about mystery snails. My baby boy is a month old (less than an inch big) and already has been cleaning up biofilm, dirt, and algae like a beast!!! You'd be surprised how fast those guys can go. And you're pretty safe having multiple, since they aren't hermaphrodites (they likely won't take over your tank!! I have no idea how to tell the difference of males and females, though)... I haven't had nerite snails before but I hear they do a great job. They are hermaphrodites, but their eggs can only hatch in brackish conditions, so they also won't overtake your tank. I've also heard amano shrimp are good at algae clean up, some swear they're the best... but I personally have no experience.

Best of luck dude!!!!!!

Edit: I am so sorry for the spam, my computer wigged out!!

Edited by clownbaby
Apology

Sorry for the late reply, I turned my notifications off for a while.

I currently have my light on for 3 hours. I’m still getting new plants and I accidentally cooked a few with too much light. I feed them at 7:00 A.M and again at around 6:30 P.M.