Swim Bladder? issue in Honey Gourami

macdaddy36

It's really not been a good week for my tanks. Over the past few days one of my Honey Gourami has started to slow down. He has been resting on the bottom a lot. At first I wasn't too concerned since both honey gourami tend to rest on the bottom/hardscape occasionally but he had been doing it more frequently. This fish has always been significantly smaller than the other honey gourami in the tank, but that could be a m/f difference.

Today I came home from school and looked at the tank and he was laying on his side on the bottom of the tank. I thought he was toast but his gills were still moving so I thought I'd let him live out the last few days/hours of his life. 

About an hour after I noticed this I went to check on him and he got scared and swam to the surface, took a gulp of air, and then swam back down and sat down on his ventral fins. He struggled a little bit getting up and getting back down but it wasn't terrible. 

How should I treat? The only QT I have on hand is a 2.5 gallon. I can set it up with an HOB and some cycled media. I'm assuming salt would be recommended, but how much and can I do anything else? Do anabantoids tolerate salt well?

pH 7.8

Nitrate 10

soft water

medium buffer

ammonia/nitrite 0

I can't get a picture of him right now because he is sitting on the bottom under a piece of drift wood but when I saw him he looked like normal. 

I know I should, but I don't have salt on hand and won't be able to get it until tomorrow. If he makes it to tomorrow I will get the salt, set up a QT and start treatment.

What I would do is quarantine and treat with epsom salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder if you don't notice much improvement after 5 days I would do a course of maracyn2 or kanaplex that level of salt safe for gourami's@macdaddy36

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 8:09 PM, Colu said:

What I would do is quarantine and treat with epsom salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder if you don't notice much improvement after 5 days I would do a course of maracyn2 or kanaplex that level of salt safe for gourami's@macdaddy36

Does it matter what kinds of epsom salt? Is there a specific product you would recommend? 

Edited by macdaddy36

On 3/8/2024 at 1:19 AM, macdaddy36 said:

Does it matter what kinds of epsom salt? Is there a specific product you would recommend?

Any brands fine to use as long as it's Plane unscented epsom salt 

Posted (edited)

@ColuAlso to be clear this is for a in tank treatment and not a bath? 1 table spoon for 2 gallons seems like kind of a lot.

Edit: I looked at the thread in you signature and I saw that you recommended baths. 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 15 minutes, 2 times a day?

Edit 2: Do I need to quarantine if I'm only doing baths?

Edited by macdaddy36

On 3/8/2024 at 1:31 AM, macdaddy36 said:

@ColuAlso to be clear this is for a in tank treatment and not a bath? 1 table spoon for 2 gallons seems like kind of a lot.

Edit: I looked at the thread in you signature and I saw that you recommended baths. 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 15 minutes, 2 times a day?

Edit 2: Do I need to quarantine if I'm only doing baths?

You can do bath I  would put him in the quarantine tank with Epsom salt at that level   for the 5 days the reason i usually recommend epsom salt bath is because epsom can raise you GH and at that level will kill plants it's upto you if you want to leave him in the main tank and do epsom baths or quarantine and treat 

Edited by Colu

On 3/7/2024 at 8:38 PM, Colu said:

You can do bath I  would put him in the quarantine tank with Epsom salt at that level   for the 5 days the reason i usually recommend epsom salt bath is because epsom can raise you GH and at that level will kill plants it's upto you leave him in the main tank and do epsom baths or quarantine and treat 

1 table spoon for 2 gallons just seems like a lot because elsewhere I have read 1 table spoon for anywhere from 5-20 gallons. I'm setting up QT now.

On 3/8/2024 at 1:43 AM, macdaddy36 said:

1 table spoon for 2 gallons just seems like a lot because elsewhere I have read 1 table spoon for anywhere from 5-20 gallons. I'm setting up QT now.

You can use a lower dose of epsom I have had the most success treating swim bladder  with 1 table spoon for 2 days you could start at 1 table spoon for 5 gallons and gradually increase it over a couple of days 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 1:56 AM, macdaddy36 said:

One problem, unfortunately I don't have a heater for the tiny tank so I'm going to try to get one ASAP but will wait till then.

If you can't get the quarantine tank going for a couple of days I would do the epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days 

On 3/7/2024 at 9:04 PM, Colu said:

If you can't get the quarantine tank going for a couple of days I would do the epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days 

The heater is arriving tomorrow. I will do an epsom bath now.

He explored his new 15 minute home for about 1 minute after adding him. IMG_3141.jpeg.502700bc7161d4b695538a8c2331c885.jpegIMG_3140.jpeg.7f7fa7658291fb278808ce46263c4b21.jpeg

now he is resting because he is too tired😔

IMG_3143.jpeg.2444a8358633d491d9406da0b8ff0008.jpeg

he looks dead but if you tap on the glass he starts swimming around

He was swimming around again, but every time he tries to do the typical gourami “hover” he starts to sink backwards. Now he is back to laying on his side

• Sad 1

On 3/8/2024 at 2:25 AM, macdaddy36 said:

He explored his new 15 minute home for about 1 minute after adding him. IMG_3141.jpeg.502700bc7161d4b695538a8c2331c885.jpegIMG_3140.jpeg.7f7fa7658291fb278808ce46263c4b21.jpeg

now he is resting because he is too tired😔

IMG_3143.jpeg.2444a8358633d491d9406da0b8ff0008.jpeg

he looks dead but if you tap on the glass he starts swimming around

He was swimming around again, but every time he tries to do the typical gourami “hover” he starts to sink backwards. Now he is back to laying on his side

It might also be worthwhile doing a course of kanaplex just in case there's a bacterial infection of the Swim bladder 

• Like 1