Catching BN plecos

knee

Is there a way to catch a pleco that only comes out at night and hides whenever you approach the tank? I’m trying to do this without removing all my hard scape because I have some really big pieces of rock and driftwood that I’d rather not disturb. 

It's pretty tricky. I know a lot of the time I would have to pick up hardscape hang it over the net in the water. Once the rock was taken out of the water the pleco would let go and fall into the net. Otherwise I know people have done zucchini in the evening wait a bit and then grab them with a net when they are munching on the food. Might work for catching some. In my experience its really hard to catch without disrupting your tank unless you are really fast. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:48 PM, Andrew Puhr said:

Otherwise I know people have done zucchini in the evening wait a bit and then grab them with a net when they are munching on the food.

I did notice that my plecos were less skittish when im feeding with zucchini vs. Algae wafers. I can put my whole face close to the tank and they won’t budge.  Maybe I’ll try to put the zucchini inside the net and leave it underwater before lights out. 

I don’t mind moving hardscape but I’m trying to around it since I have some big pieces in there I feel like it would also stress out the other fish. 

• Like 2

No idea if this will work but what about placing the net in the tank with an algae wafer in the net. Turning all the lights out and waiting until he eats the wafer and lifting the net? You'd have to stand there very still with your hand still on the net but I think it could work with patience.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 1:16 PM, NOLANANO said:

No idea if this will work but what about placing the net in the tank with an algae wafer in the net. Turning all the lights out and waiting until he eats the wafer and lifting the net? You'd have to stand there very still with your hand still on the net but I think it could work with patience.

I might try that later but with zucchini. Haven’t fed them directly for about 2 days now so I know they’re a bit hungry. 

• Like 1

I use a hobby genius fish trap don't feed them for a couple of days so there hungry bait the trap it has a sliding door drop the door when it goes in I use it to trap bristlenoseScreenshot_20240306-220751.png.bf6797040fb8081c9130a0c0f73bfa1d.png

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 3/6/2024 at 2:09 PM, Colu said:

I use a hobby genius fish trap don't feed them for a couple of days so there hungry bait the trap it has a sliding door drop the door when it goes in I use it to trap bristlenoseScreenshot_20240306-220751.png.bf6797040fb8081c9130a0c0f73bfa1d.png

I just checked and it’s a bit pricey but a really good product. I’m gonna try to do DIY first since I’m just trying to catch 2 plecos 😂😂

This could come in handy if it’s a recurring issue tho  

• Like 1