What should I do about this algae, if anything?

Starting my first tank in 10+ years and found these rocks in a creek by my house. I rinsed them really well and they sat in a drawer for weeks. They’ve been in the aquarium for 5-6 days, light only on for 3 days for 5 hours while  I wait for my plant order to arrive in a couple days. My phone makes the algae look a lot darker than it actually is.IMG_1001.jpeg.9cca6e0dea6826ff45bfcd04bfab0e98.jpegIMG_0997.jpeg.c4dc1583495791c9648c951d5ebda757.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 8:29 PM, Mic said:

Starting my first tank in 10+ years and found these rocks in a creek by my house. I rinsed them really well and they sat in a drawer for weeks. They’ve been in the aquarium for 5-6 days, light only on for 3 days for 5 hours while  I wait for my plant order to arrive in a couple days. My phone makes the algae look a lot darker than it actually is.IMG_1001.jpeg.9cca6e0dea6826ff45bfcd04bfab0e98.jpegIMG_0997.jpeg.c4dc1583495791c9648c951d5ebda757.jpeg

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Thats actually a sign that your aquarium is healthy. If it starts to get outta control, maybe some ottos could help you out. I keep 3 ottos in my 15 gal with some medaka, and they do a good job to keep it at bay.

• Like 1

I absolutely love the look of algae on rocks, and, yes, it means you have a healthy tank. Now, there is a blue-green algae that creates a coating of slime and smells like muck. Not an algae at all, but a bacteria (Cyanobacteria) that can cause health issues in your fish. It is going to need treated with erythromycin. Regular algae kind of smells sea-weedy. Since your rocks have been brought in,keep an eye out for blue green algae just in case.

• Like 1