Can I mix fast growing and slow growing plants in the same tank?

Hornwort is phenomenal for removing nitrates and other ammonia compounds from the tank. Grows incredibly fast. It actually can suffer and die back when there’s not enough. Which is bad for the tank. Its leaves kind of shed like Christmas tree needles and gets everywhere. Only had that happen once though. And that was when I consolidated tanks and it was in an empty tank 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 7:58 PM, Tony s said:

Hornwort is phenomenal for removing nitrates and other ammonia compounds from the tank. Grows incredibly fast. It actually can suffer and die back when there’s not enough. Which is bad for the tank. Its leaves kind of shed like Christmas tree needles and gets everywhere. Only had that happen once though. And that was when I consolidated tanks and it was in an empty tank 

Ok just checking, was planning on some more plants and was wondering because didnt want only slow growers. Thanks. Will find somewhere to buy online because AC does not carry it I think…

On 3/3/2024 at 6:55 PM, Pepere said:

Yes. And also high light and low light plants…

low light plants can be  planted near tank edges with less lighting or under shading by other plants…

Yes I have anubias currently and it is in a high light tank thriving which is good. Thanks for that info @Pepere!

Hornwort will take more nutrients but no worries, anubias won’t get choked out. I keep high light and low light plants with very little issue just like @Pepere wrote. In my case I sectioned off an area of the aquarium surface with airline tubing and suction cups and let the Amazon frogbit go crazy there, underneath on the floor I keep my ferns, crypt and anubias. In other areas that the frogbit isn’t shadowing the tank I let my more high light plants grow. See where the hornwort creates shadowy areas and put the low light plants there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but I read my comment yesterday and feel like an asterisk needs to be included with that first sentence. When I mentioned Hornwort won't choke out your anubias, that's true. BUT, that also means you need to make sure there are nutrients in the water (Easy Green). Hornwort will suck a tank dry. What I should have said was that as long as your Hornwort is getting nutrients, your Anubias is. Keep up on nutrients with Hornwort. I took hornwort out of my tank solely because of the leaves falling off. In my experience, when the nutrients go down, so do the leaves. They're a GREAT plant for aquariums but a mess to clean and slow to grow back. IMHO.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 8:22 AM, Chad said:

Sorry, but I read my comment yesterday and feel like an asterisk needs to be included with that first sentence. When I mentioned Hornwort won't choke out your anubias, that's true. BUT, that also means you need to make sure there are nutrients in the water (Easy Green). Hornwort will suck a tank dry. What I should have said was that as long as your Hornwort is getting nutrients, your Anubias is. Keep up on nutrients with Hornwort. I took hornwort out of my tank solely because of the leaves falling off. In my experience, when the nutrients go down, so do the leaves. They're a GREAT plant for aquariums but a mess to clean and slow to grow back. IMHO.

Thanks. I have easy green and getting some root tabs soon because I am planning on Cryptocoryne green and other substrate feeders. Thanks for this info @Chad!

• Love 1

So glad to help @Whitecloud09! You're going to love adding those crypts and small plants. They take forever to grow, in my experience, but I like the small underwater forest look and those plants hit it out of the park right away. 

• Love 1

On 3/8/2024 at 8:39 AM, Chad said:

So glad to help @Whitecloud09! You're going to love adding those crypts and small plants. They take forever to grow, in my experience, but I like the small underwater forest look and those plants hit it out of the park right away. 

Yes I love plants already and very new to the plant thing!

• Love 1

Prepare to be amazed and disappointed @Whitecloud09. There's an old saying, "A watched pot never boils". This stupid old saying was screaming in my head when I first got plants. Don't focus on them too much, let them settle, and before you know it you'll be pleasantly surprised. Speaking of surprises, the ones I thought would be awesome never panned out. Java Fern, I mean, I couldn't grow Java Fern!? Still can't! Then, a crazy, well-why-not, purchase went bonkers in my tank, Tiger Lily. Never imagined it would grow so beautifully or quickly! Go in with high hopes but be happily surprised by what actually ends up happening for your tank. My only certainty for you is it won't go as planned, and that's oftentimes a very good thing.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 8:55 AM, Chad said:

Prepare to be amazed and disappointed @Whitecloud09. There's an old saying, "A watched pot never boils". This stupid old saying was screaming in my head when I first got plants. Don't focus on them too much, let them settle, and before you know it you'll be pleasantly surprised. Speaking of surprises, the ones I thought would be awesome never panned out. Java Fern, I mean, I couldn't grow Java Fern!? Still can't! Then, a crazy, well-why-not, purchase went bonkers in my tank, Tiger Lily. Never imagined it would grow so beautifully or quickly! Go in with high hopes but be happily surprised by what actually ends up happening for your tank. My only certainty for you is it won't go as planned, and that's oftentimes a very good thing.

Thanks for that @Chad, in fishkeeping there is success and obviously failure, I have experienced a lot of both in my short time in fish keeping (about 2 years). Yes some plants do amazing and some not so much, for example I had Windelov Java fern, in died and I had anubias and that thing is thriving in my AC easy planter and as green as green can be, I hope that I will have success in this journey of fish keeping but let’s be honest, not everything will go that way, but fish keeping is a journey of ups + downs and we will experience both, so with that said thanks @Chad 🙂

• Love 1