2.5 Gallon Project

I stuck my head into Goodwill the other day and found this odd shaped 2.5 gallon aquarium for $5, I couldn't just leave it there right? It's marked KollerCraft on the bottom. It's missing the light and filter that came with it originally, but came with a Tetra Whisper 4g. The filter works, a little noisy, but not terrible. I leak tested it overnight, all seems good. Just needs a good cleaning. 

I'm planning to keep cherry shrimp in it. Most likely will use black sand for the substrate. I hope just some easy plants inside, and 3d print some plant holders and grow something like pothos out the top. Not sure what I'll do for a light yet, or where I'll actually keep it. It's a very odd shape. 

This won't be a fast moving project. I'm swamped with family, work, school, and internship. I'm working 5 days a week, and interning the other 2. 

IMG20240301235213.jpg.48a454db00e1c4bb8afe9677babadb2c.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/2/2024 at 9:12 PM, A3M0N said:

I stuck my head into Goodwill the other day and found this odd shaped 2.5 gallon aquarium for $5, I couldn't just leave it there right? It's marked KollerCraft on the bottom. It's missing the light and filter that came with it originally, but came with a Tetra Whisper 4g. The filter works, a little noisy, but not terrible. I leak tested it overnight, all seems good. Just needs a good cleaning. 

I'm planning to keep cherry shrimp in it. Most likely will use black sand for the substrate. I hope just some easy plants inside, and 3d print some plant holders and grow something like pothos out the top. Not sure what I'll do for a light yet, or where I'll actually keep it. It's a very odd shape. 

This won't be a fast moving project. I'm swamped with family, work, school, and internship. I'm working 5 days a week, and interning the other 2. 

IMG20240301235213.jpg.48a454db00e1c4bb8afe9677babadb2c.jpg

Nice score! I actually found my 75G on marketplace for free. Currently have it set up as a native tank. That should be perfect for some shrimp and maybe some snails if thats what your into.

• Like 2

Wow, free is a great deal. Around here I've only seen outrageous asking prices for used aquariums or thrashed equipment I don't have time or skills to fix on FB. 

I briefly thought about a betta or chili rasboras, but there really isn't enough room. I'll probably stick with shrimp. I like snails, I had a mystery snail in my 10G for a long time, but I'm not equipped to deal with snails breeding. I think shrimp breeding will be easier to handle, but I could be wrong! 

On 3/4/2024 at 2:39 PM, A3M0N said:

Wow, free is a great deal. Around here I've only seen outrageous asking prices for used aquariums or thrashed equipment I don't have time or skills to fix on FB. 

I briefly thought about a betta or chili rasboras, but there really isn't enough room. I'll probably stick with shrimp. I like snails, I had a mystery snail in my 10G for a long time, but I'm not equipped to deal with snails breeding. I think shrimp breeding will be easier to handle, but I could be wrong! 

Yes. free is awesome especially for a big tank. Also ive never bred shrimp but seems eaiser to keep the population under control.

Ohh that's a nice find!

Maybe you could print 1/4 of a stump with roots to put in the corner to make it look like a tree growing out of the water. Maybe you could even hide the filter in it.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 10:25 PM, Schuyler said:

Maybe you could print 1/4 of a stump with roots to put in the corner to make it look like a tree growing out of the water.

Thanks! I have a vision for it already. There's some artwork from a show I like, I hope to do a sunken diorama kinda of think with it that will include some tunnels/hides for shrimp. I may look for mountains/boulders to print. More to come! 

This is what I'm thinking for placement. I work from home, for the rest of the calendar year at least, so I can have some shrimp keep me company while I'm working. The lamp also came from Goodwill, but a different trip. It has a warm bulb that came in the lamp right now, it'll have a daylight LED when all said and done. 2.5G of water weighs roughly 16lbs, I'm confident my desk can handle the weight. I'll probably paint the back and small back right panel black with acrylic paint. And I still need to clean it up. 

IMG20240305180243.jpg.77c80d38fad142ff73e7a1ef816e5a46.jpg

• Like 1

I've been looking at this on my desk for a few days now. Since it's upstairs, on my desk near the monitor, and over carpet I want to keep water changes to minimum. It's only 2.5G and planning on shrimp, so I'm thinking about trying the Walstad Method. I've watched the video KG Tropicals did with Diana Walstad a few times now and I think I have a handle on the concept. 

Here is my inspiration for the scape: 

zaku_inspiration.JPG.61509d808bd273b0166ac007c0000c70.JPG

If you're not an anime fan, it's a crashed Zaku II from Mobile Suit Gundam. I don't think it's a scene from the show, but it has an 08th MS Team feel to me. 

Anyway, I want to have a steep sloped bank on one of the narrow panes with the Zaku kind of embedded into it. I want some moss and epiphytes to root around the Zaku itself and something like crypts around the base. I also want some tall stems to give it a deep feeling, I have bacopa caroliniana in my 10G for that, I'd love for it to grow out of the top and flower. I have vision of some carpeting patches, maybe pearl weed kept trim low? I have frogbit for floaters. 

I've found several models on Thingiverse to print and paint instead of a true Gunpla model. There will be less hollows or voids to fill in with a solid print. I'm still looking for a good matte clear sealer, but right now it seems like the clear Flex Seal or Plastidip are good options. 

I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull it off, and it will be a long process due to my work/school/intern schedule, but this is my plan as of now! 

• Like 1