Is my female guppy (Cinderella) pregnant or just fat?

LizardG

They can get WAY fatter than that!! 

Almost all female guppies are almost always pregnant so it's a good bet she's pregnant. She doesn't look like she's ready to drop soon though. Before they drop, their gravid spot will get very dark and large. 

On an unrelated matter, she gills appear red. I would check ammonia in the tank. 

image.png.ef8eae14e559a9819f0442b7e0f9015c.png

• Like 1

Oh, I also want to add something else. Don't listen to those bot articles that tell you to isolate or move her when she's about to have fry. That causes far more issues than it saves. Do this instead:

-  Provide hiding places, especially near the top. If you don't have any floating plants you can buy fake floating plants or use a floating spawning mop. 

-  Turn the lights down when she starts going into labor. This will lower her stress. 

-  Try to avoid watching her. She needs to feel that she and her babies are safe. A large predator watching her won't help her feel safe. 

-  If needed, remove any male or other fish that is harassing her a lot. Some amount of bugging her is fine but if it goes on too long it will stress her too much. 

-  Provide places for the fry to hide. This can be all over the tank and can come in many forms like decor and plants, either live or fake. 

The main idea is to reduce her stress as much as possible with as little intervention from us as possible. It's a natural process that doesn't need much messing around except for how the tank is set up. If a female guppy gets too stressed while giving birth she can abort them and reabsorb them or hold them in even until she dies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1