Whats going on with these snail egg clutches?

Nora

I have a small one gallon tank that I keep for snails and to attempt to get them to breed at a speed that keeps up with my gluttonous pea puffer.  I have pond snails and ramshorn snails in the tank.  I have seen the round spots of egg clutches on the glass before but what is going on along the water edge is new to me.  What is going on along the edges??  It looks like little hairs that are moving.  Are there deterius worms feeding on the eggs?  Is this normal evolution?  Concerning or no?

IMG_9902.jpg

IMG_9903.jpg

• Confused 1

This is my uneducated guess. I see those sacks are above the waterline. Once they dry I doubt they are viable eggs. Detrius worms are typically harmless to your population- their purpose is to be scavangers and eat the dead/dying things. I think maybe in this case that is what these are doing, on top of the fact that whatever food you might be feeding- if any of it floats it's probably a great perch for them and the food might stick to the sacks as well. I'm willing to bet they are not doing this on the totally submerged sacks- as I can see just below the top there is a sack that is and there are no worms stacks on it. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos suck.
  • Like 3

On 3/2/2024 at 11:01 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

This is my uneducated guess. I see those sacks are above the waterline. Once they dry I doubt they are viable eggs. Detrius worms are typically harmless to your population- their purpose is to be scavangers and eat the dead/dying things. I think maybe in this case that is what these are doing, on top of the fact that whatever food you might be feeding- if any of it floats it's probably a great perch for them and the food might stick to the sacks as well. I'm willing to bet they are not doing this on the totally submerged sacks- as I can see just below the top there is a sack that is and there are no worms stacks on it. 

I 2nd this.