Canister filter Impeller Lubricant?

RichNJ

On 2/28/2024 at 8:43 PM, RichNJ said:

Do impellers need to be re-lubricated? 

They need replacing from time to time.   Fluval recommends once a year on the 07 line…

have you looked up the owners manual online for yours?

On 2/28/2024 at 9:21 PM, Pepere said:

They need replacing from time to time.   Fluval recommends once a year on the 07 line…

have you looked up the owners manual online for yours?

@Peperethanks…yes, it doesn’t say the recommended frequency of replacement thought.  But I found the part at least.  I submitted a question to their help desk

On 2/28/2024 at 9:44 PM, RichNJ said:

thanks…yes, it doesn’t say the recommended frequency of replacement thought.  But I found the part at least.

If it was my filter, replacing the impeller would be my first attempt to fix the rattle.  Its the only moving part.  Its what is going to make noise, and it is what is going to wear.    My guess would be the tolerance between the shaft and the impeller itself is looser than when new…. But, I have guessed wrong on things before…. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 5:43 PM, RichNJ said:

My three year old  FZ7 FORZA is starting to rattle.  I’ve cleaned the impeller and that worked for a while but it’s rattling.  Do impellers need to be re-lubricated? 

Yes, but it's likely not the lube that is an issue.  Over time the shaft itself will wear.  That is why the impeller itself is the most often replaced item and it is a standard part for most filters.  Same thing with o-rings.  You can visually see this on the shaft itself.  The other thing that can happen is things just aren't aligned correctly due to debris.  Marina, fluval, and some other people sell impeller cleaning kits for this task.  Something like a bottle brush for a straw works as well. 

In terms of lube, you want to use 100% food grade silicone grease.  The one I use is from a dive shop and available on amazon.

shopping.webp.67cf394e0edc4e3bc7cec05330161770.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:28 AM, RichNJ said:

what is the purpose of adding lubricant to the o-ring on the lid of the filter?  @nabokovfan87 @Pepere

Lubricant extends the life of every o-ring.  It also helps prevent rattling from a loose fit.  That's why high end car detail shops will lubricate the seals on your car when they clean them.  Keeps them moist and sealing good no rattle from the door and no air noises.  Same for our filter.

• Thanks 1