Safe to put a 40g tank 2nd floor?

Arcticgypsy

40g Breeder - 2nd floor apartment

I live in an older highrise.  Well built here in Canada.  (1960s I'd say)   Steel beams, cement floors covered in wood laminate.   I know I'm looking at about 450lbs by the time substrate / hardscape have been added.  Is this safe to put in our apt.  

Tnx

Assuming you have concrete floors it should be no issue. Even if you had wooden joists it could be easily done, so concrete it should be absolutely no issue whatsoever. 

450lbs sounds like a lot, but if you think about it being 2-3 people sitting on a couch all of a sudden it doesn’t sound as scary. 

• Like 1

Really would depend on landlord. I’d hate for you to have it set up perfectly, then be forced to take it down. But the weight shouldn’t be an issue. Especially since you’re talking about concrete floors anyway. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 12:25 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

450lbs sounds like a lot, but if you think about it being 2-3 people sitting on a couch all of a sudden it doesn’t sound as scary. 

Thanks for putting it that way.  Now that I think of it.  I'm pretty sure a couple of the people in the building might weigh that much alone.     Concrete floors for sure....I have seen the old landlord ripping up carpet and tile and have seen the floors, plus I've tripped and fallen a few times and my knees confirm it lol.

Think I'm worried as never really have had a tank bigger than a 29...I've had lots of tanks at once but no bigger so makes me nervous. 

I have 8 tanks on a 6’ rack in my living room. Total of 164 gallons. It’s been up for almost 4 years and no issues. I’m in a second floor apartment. I assume wood floors, and I don’t know which way the joists run. That being said, it’s up against a load bearing wall, and that’s why I felt comfortable enough to do it. 

If I had concrete floors I wouldn’t worry about it at all. 

• Like 1

Yeah, mine is on a landing literally on top of a load bearing wall. I just worry that guys in apartments 1. Check with the landlord and. 2 know what the insurance policy says. Lots of time and effort to be told to take it down at the last second. Which of course, I break #2, I have no idea what my insurance policy says. 

but, yeah, the weight from a 40 is relatively negligible. 

on the stair landing is very cool as it is very visible from front door. Bigger would have been better 

Edited by Tony s

i mean to be honest im in an recently converted atic flat on the 3rd floor and have a 350 L tank in the corner of my room  and i belive its over a loadbaring wall and i have had to problem at all. just to try and give you some more confidence 

• Like 2