SOS something just killed all of my Amano shrimp

Ohad

The shrimp live in an over a year-old established tank. They have been happy the whole time, even multiple times I saw females with eggs.

Then today they all died at the same time, the fish and snails are happy and active 

Water parameters:

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

GH 75

KH 40

PH 7.2

Chlorine 0

Temp 76

in the last water change I used for the first time API's Aqua Essential for de chlorinate the water but that must be safe for shrimp no?

I just have no idea what has happened 

Any ideas? Other things I should check?

Thanks

Hi Ohad,

Have you tested for ammonia? I am surprised there are 0 nitrates-- how large was your water change? Is your tank very heavily planted? 
How large is your tank, and how much API Aqua Essential did you use? 

Does your local municipality/water provider provide any information on the use of chlorine/chloramine? Do they alternate between these two products? 

API's website says it's shrimp/snail safe.  Other than possibly dosing too much, it seems like most other water conditioners.  It makes some interesting claims about reducing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate by 20-60 ppm each.  

On 2/21/2024 at 4:51 PM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

Hi Ohad,

Have you tested for ammonia? I am surprised there are 0 nitrates-- how large was your water change? Is your tank very heavily planted? 
How large is your tank, and how much API Aqua Essential did you use? 

Does your local municipality/water provider provide any information on the use of chlorine/chloramine? Do they alternate between these two products? 

Ammonia is 0 and the tank is heavily planted, I did I water change of about 40% but I do that every week 

Hello,

I'm sorry for your troubles! Have you had pest control spray your house recently? Or have you used a tool or placed something in your tank they could have gotten sprayed? 

I had a tragic accident last year where I almost instantly lost about 90% of my cherry and amano shrimp during a water change. Apparently my python siphon had been laying near a door threshold where my pest control guy was spraying, and it must have gotten sprayed. Literally around 200 shrimp died in about 4 hrs. Fish and snails were fine. Just something to consider if you are usually a very successful shrimp keeper and have a sudden massive shrimp die off.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is 100% the API's Aqua Essential. I did not even do a water changed, but only top up of another tank I put not more than the first line of  bottle cup and added about 20% water to the tank . The three shrimp in that tank instantly died. 

it could be that I bought a bad bottle but the date on it is fine.

will not use again 

• Sad 1

On 3/5/2024 at 8:47 AM, Ohad said:

Ok this is 100% the API's Aqua Essential. I did not even do a water changed, but only top up of another tank I put not more than the first line of  bottle cup and added about 20% water to the tank . The three shrimp in that tank instantly died. 

it could be that I bought a bad bottle but the date on it is fine.

will not use again 

Hello, I would be surprised if the water conditioner itself caused this unless you heavily overdosed it. Not to say it absolutely could not, I'm just trying to say you may want to look at other causes in addition to perhaps using another water conditioner just in case that one was contaminated with something weird. Amanos are very hardy and it would take something drastic to immediately kill them. Do you have pest control applied to your home? You say you did not do a water change but transferred water from another tank. Are there any tools, buckets etc used during transfer of water to/from tank that could have been exposed to a pesticide? 

On 3/5/2024 at 11:53 AM, cmo1922 said:

Hello, I would be surprised if the water conditioner itself caused this unless you heavily overdosed it. Not to say it absolutely could not, I'm just trying to say you may want to look at other causes in addition to perhaps using another water conditioner just in case that one was contaminated with something weird. Amanos are very hardy and it would take something drastic to immediately kill them. Do you have pest control applied to your home? You say you did not do a water change but transferred water from another tank. Are there any tools, buckets etc used during transfer of water to/from tank that could have been exposed to a pesticide? 

What I believe is that I got a bad one. I never had a problem with API before . But these tanks are running for 3 years now problem and that's the only thing . Maybe some chemical is out of balance in the one I got