Opening up a Co op heater

Pepere

One of my Co op heaters was flashing end of life so decided to retire it.

And I was curious as to its innards…

IMG_2476.jpeg.f17b2e9d5c2fb37a465cf822bb616cae.jpeg

The back clamshell can be pried off fairly easily.  There are four little plastic moldings 1 in each corner that mates to recesses on the front housing.

image.jpg.283a9940d5f82da7691c29d2967ac256.jpgimage.jpg.312e58203d3320e2d7d87a78ada9fa5c.jpg

once off it is easy enough to clean out all the snails that get in there…

1 quartz tube with a resistive heater element.  And the brains in the center and a temp probe in the bottom.  All of it bedded in place with a plastic type resin, most likely an epoxy.

Other than removing the back to clean out snails, nothing worth trying to repair or replace in there…. 

popping it back together to keep as a backup.  

thought people might like to see.

• Like 5

I understand why they don't sell these anymore, but while one of mine unfortunately didn't make it long, it was nice that it didn't get stuck "on" and the replacement I got has been doing great. My go-to heaters are probably going to be the fluval LED heaters again. 

• Like 1

Did ACOOP ever say why they weren't selling them officially? I noticed they aren't selling them anymore but never saw an official announcement. 

I had some trouble with them, but I really liked the form factor and the thermometer built in.

last post on first page Cory writes in why they decided to stop offering it.   Further up the page is a video where Cory discusses why they discontinued it.

I bought 2 AQQA look alike heaters recently from Amazon.  Electronic circuitry functions like the first co op heater.  Only difference I have been able to perceive is the logo and a shorter cord.   But just because I cant perceive other differences doesnt mean there are not other differences…

If I could still buy the co op version I would be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2024 at 9:57 AM, Pepere said:

Other than removing the back to clean out snails, nothing worth trying to repair or replace in there…. 

Seems most errors were temperature sensor which I have to imagine is in the water. I doubt it would cost much to replace on digikey

On 2/18/2024 at 4:39 PM, Lonkley said:

Seems most errors were temperature sensor which I have to imagine is in the water. I doubt it would cost much to replace on digikey

Yes but the sensor is potted in epoxy in a plastic well.  I just don’t see it as worth the investment of time to fix a used heater.

AQQA 50 watt unit costs  $20.99.