Dojo Loach Temperature

tetra

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the internet, stating that dojo loaches can happily live in water as warm as 77F (this is according to Seriously Fish) but as low as 55F. Though the warmest recommended for long term according to Seriously Fish is 74F. Other sources say no higher than 70F, then others say the warmest you can keep them long term is 68F. Then some say as low as 64F or lower.

In your experience, what temperature would be okay for them? My tank is 75F right now, but I’m willing to go to 73F if it’s okay for dojos. Any lower, and it’s kind of pushing it for my tank at least.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:17 PM, tetra said:

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the internet, stating that dojo loaches can happily live in water as warm as 77F (this is according to Seriously Fish) but as low as 55F. Though the warmest recommended for long term according to Seriously Fish is 74F. Other sources say no higher than 70F, then others say the warmest you can keep them long term is 68F. Then some say as low as 64F or lower.

In your experience, what temperature would be okay for them? My tank is 75F right now, but I’m willing to go to 73F if it’s okay for dojos. Any lower, and it’s kind of pushing it for my tank at least.

I have no information to add aside from anecdotal experience, but these Dojo's have lived with these SA cichlids for almost 4 years. This particular tank has never had an illness and these Dojo's have grown to circa 8" from under 2" when I first got them. I have kept this tank at 77*F for their entire lives. Wonderful fish. Friendly, not shy, zero aggression. They allow you to pet and hold them, even lift them out of the water. Tragically good jumpers though! 

DSC_0089.JPG

Picture11.jpg

Picture13.jpg

Picture14.jpg

Picture35.jpg

• Thanks 1