columnaris

Elyse

Hello, I quarantined these celebese rainbows for a couple weeks and they looked good so added them to my display tank. This tank has had columnaris in the past which I treated with kanaplex but now one of the new rainbows has a light patch on his back. Should I go ahead and treat with antibiotics, if so which one. I have maracyn as well. 

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

Could be columnaris that's a gram negative bacterial infections that spreads more quickly at temperatures over 75°f and can kill in 24hr to 7 days for the cold water stains the most effective treatment I have found is a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment protocol @Elyse1000000030.png.ee3b759c21d385f2eb9569a6a1403a46.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So my fish are fine....

BUT ALL MY PLANTS ARE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT USE JUNGLE FUNGUS CLEAR TABS WITH PLANTS; PARTICULARLY VALLISNERIA; SOME OF MY CRYPTS MAY LIVE BUT BARELY 

JUNGLE FUNGUS CLEAR TABS ADVERTISED THAT THEY WERE SAFE FOR PLANTS.....THEY ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will stick to just kanaplex from now on, as ALL of my tanks are planted as are most of the people's on the forum I'm sure.

😠

On 3/5/2024 at 2:17 AM, Elyse said:

So my fish are fine....

BUT ALL MY PLANTS ARE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT USE JUNGLE FUNGUS CLEAR TABS WITH PLANTS; PARTICULARLY VALLISNERIA; SOME OF MY CRYPTS MAY LIVE BUT BARELY 

JUNGLE FUNGUS CLEAR TABS ADVERTISED THAT THEY WERE SAFE FOR PLANTS.....THEY ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will stick to just kanaplex from now on, as ALL of my tanks are planted as are most of the people's on the forum I'm sure.

😠

Sorry to hear that I have used nitrofurazone based medication multiple times with plants in my tank only thing have noticed is reduced growth for a couple of weeks after treatment