Selling Swordtails and Guppies locally

Chad

I added a trio of high-fin kohaku swordtails and a pair of yellow king tiger cobra guppies (both from Dan's fish) to my 33 gallon community tank a couple months back. They are stunning and, not surprisingly, prolific. There are lots of fry and juveniles (30-50 of each) and I'm sure in a few months I'll need to start moving them out. 

My initial intent was to sell them to my local fish store. They were interested when I asked originally but after my last chat they seemed lukewarm to the idea. It might still work out, but I want to have a fallback plan. I was curious what options others have selling locally and/or directly to customers? Are there web sites you use? Local forums? Facebook seems like the way but they don't allow this. 

I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank I'm using to lighten the load and grow out the fish. But in 2-3 months I'll need to start moving them. My next step after this is to consider selling via mail and with a web site. But one degree at a time 🙂 Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Try the BAND app and see if you have one or more for local groups.  Or search for a local fish club.  You can also sell as “local pick up only” on the Fish Swap Buy/Sell/Trade sub forum here.  Or there’s always AquaBid.  Their software / website is rather out of date and a bit of a pain to get set up to sell, but it can still connect you to many potential buyers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 2:50 PM, Odd Duck said:

Try the BAND app and see if you have one or more for local groups.  Or search for a local fish club.  You can also sell as “local pick up only” on the Fish Swap Buy/Sell/Trade sub forum here.  Or there’s always AquaBid.  Their software / website is rather out of date and a bit of a pain to get set up to sell, but it can still connect you to many potential buyers.

Clubs are a great idea, and ACO has a club finder on their site:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/apps/store-locator

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2024 at 5:30 PM, Chad said:

That would be perfect @Rube_Goldfish but I don't think my local club does meets any more. Just a fish swap twice a year and I'm not on that level to be trying to set up a booth or anything.

Ah, that's a bummer! I'm lucky enough to have a great club close by. Sounds like the other options might be your best bets then; you could try starting a club or convincing your local club to meet more regularly, but that's probably too much just to offload excess guppies!

• Like 1