Reducing ammonia in temporary tank while escaping new tank

flossy

Hello, I plan on rescaping my tank but im worried about the ammonia caused by the fish stress wile transporting t em temporarily in a 5 gallon bucket. Any ideas on how to reduce the ammonia. (7 corydoras, 6 neon tetras, 2 nerite snails, about 5 amano shrimp)

• Like 1

If you have a sponge filter in your tank just plop that into the bucket and run that while the fish are in there. You won’t have any issues. 

Even without any filtration in the bucket you should be fine assuming the rescape will be done in a single day. I’d definitely run an air stone in the bucket if you don’t have a sponge filter

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 1

Use your current filter if at all possible even if you have to jury rig it. Not a problem if it’s a sponge. Otherwise you’ll need to just monitor and water change as needed. You can then dechlorinate with prime. Which should help keep the ammonia toxicity down as well.  

if you have a hang on back. You may be able to get a small tote from hardware store which it could hang off of. instead of your 5 gallon bucket. 

if you can get your filter moved temporarily. You should be good for a while 

• Like 1

Don't feed them for a couple of days before the move and don't feed them in the bucket and I think you should be fine. Throw in a plant or a piece of decor from the established tank and you're good to go. Fish spend days in small plastic bags when being shipped. You'll be fine.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 3:35 AM, Robert K said:

Don't feed them for a couple of days before the move and don't feed them in the bucket and I think you should be fine. Throw in a plant or a piece of decor from the established tank and you're good to go. Fish spend days in small plastic bags when being shipped. You'll be fine.

@flossy are you changing the substrate or leaving it in?