Repeat Treatment - Parasites?

only6foot6

I have seen conflicting information about treating a parasitic infections.  I am looking for advice.

I purchased six Julii Cory’s from a big box store and did not quarantine them.  Learned the hard way and the Cory’s started to die within 24 hours.  Two - three days letter my cherry barbs and runny nose tetras started to die.

I ran out and picked up some API General Cure and did one complete treatment.  I ended up losing 14 fish.  The remaining fish are looking fine.  This is where I am getting confused.  The box says nothing about doing a follow up treatment but I have seen several posts talking about doing another round of treatment to ensure all parasites are gone (including any eggs).

If I do another round of treatment, do I only use the General Cure or do I do Cory’s quarantine trio?  What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

On 2/10/2024 at 4:02 AM, only6foot6 said:

I have seen conflicting information about treating a parasitic infections.  I am looking for advice.

I purchased six Julii Cory’s from a big box store and did not quarantine them.  Learned the hard way and the Cory’s started to die within 24 hours.  Two - three days letter my cherry barbs and runny nose tetras started to die.

I ran out and picked up some API General Cure and did one complete treatment.  I ended up losing 14 fish.  The remaining fish are looking fine.  This is where I am getting confused.  The box says nothing about doing a follow up treatment but I have seen several posts talking about doing another round of treatment to ensure all parasites are gone (including any eggs).

If I do another round of treatment, do I only use the General Cure or do I do Cory’s quarantine trio?  What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Your new fish could have had  a parasitic infections even if they infected your other fish they wouldn't have died with in three days it can take a couple  weeks to months  in some case from point of infection for a parasite to kill your fish with mass mortality over a couple of days i would be learning to problem with your water parameters ammonia nitrite or a fast acting bacterial infections what were your water parameters at time of the  deaths and what symptoms were you seeing in the fish that died @only6foot6

Edited by Colu

On 2/9/2024 at 8:48 PM, Colu said:

it can take a couple  weeks to months  in some case from point of infection

Interesting.  Well…..not sure then what i had going on.  Whatever happened, happened fast.

On 2/9/2024 at 8:48 PM, Colu said:

what were your water parameters at time of the  deaths and what symptoms were you seeing in the fish that died

I tested when the fish started to die and they looked good to me:

Ammonia - 0 ppm, Nitrate - 0 ppm, Nitrite - 5-10 ppm, Water temp - 78, The tank has been up and running for six years with minimal issues.

The fish that died almost all had red bellies/flanks.  They looked like internal bleeding/bruising.  They seemed to be acting lethargic before dying.  It seemed like the cories were breathing fast/having a hard time breathing.  None of the fish had any external signs of problems.  All I know, the fish were fine before putting the cories in the tank.  I think the first Cory died within 6-8 hours.  Then it was all downhill from there.  Most of the cories died within 3 days.  Then the other fish started to die.

Thank you for your help.  I appreciate it.

On 2/10/2024 at 5:05 AM, only6foot6 said:

Interesting.  Well…..not sure then what i had going on.  Whatever happened, happened fast.

I tested when the fish started to die and they looked good to me:

Ammonia - 0 ppm, Nitrate - 0 ppm, Nitrite - 5-10 ppm, Water temp - 78, The tank has been up and running for six years with minimal issues.

The fish that died almost all had red bellies/flanks.  They looked like internal bleeding/bruising.  They seemed to be acting lethargic before dying.  It seemed like the cories were breathing fast/having a hard time breathing.  None of the fish had any external signs of problems.  All I know, the fish were fine before putting the cories in the tank.  I think the first Cory died within 6-8 hours.  Then it was all downhill from there.  Most of the cories died within 3 days.  Then the other fish started to die.

Thank you for your help.  I appreciate it.

With the symptoms you described I would say they were killed by a bacterial infection or viral infection what I would do if you don't have it to hand is get kanaplex or maracyn2 both are broad spectrum antibiotic if you start to see any of the same symptoms start treating straight away