Help after Epistylis outbreak

Lilred

I purchased a Clown Pleco and didn't see any disease, but when he came out of hiding I noticed he had Epistylis   It was about 3 weeks from the time of purchased him till now.  I have a 20 gallon planted tank with 2 mystery snails and a handful of guppy fry. The Pleco was the only one affected. I lowered my temperature from78 to 72 and did 3 treatments of IckX followed by  30% water changes. I  was also medicating the food with Kanaplex. Sadly He didn't make it. Everyone else still looks fine. 

What should I be doing at this point now that he passed? I just did another 30% water change. All my peramaters look good. I want to eventually get more fish. I am definitly going to quaranteen next time around.  (Hard lesson learned) How long do I need to wait before adding another fish to the tank? I am not in any hurry to add anything. I just want to know if I should be dosing anymore and with anything else other than Ick x?  This is the first time I have delt with anything like this. Any help is appreciated.

On 2/6/2024 at 2:17 AM, Lilred said:

I purchased a Clown Pleco and didn't see any disease, but when he came out of hiding I noticed he had Epistylis   It was about 3 weeks from the time of purchased him till now.  I have a 20 gallon planted tank with 2 mystery snails and a handful of guppy fry. The Pleco was the only one affected. I lowered my temperature from78 to 72 and did 3 treatments of IckX followed by  30% water changes. I  was also medicating the food with Kanaplex. Sadly He didn't make it. Everyone else still looks fine. 

What should I be doing at this point now that he passed? I just did another 30% water change. All my peramaters look good. I want to eventually get more fish. I am definitly going to quaranteen next time around.  (Hard lesson learned) How long do I need to wait before adding another fish to the tank? I am not in any hurry to add anything. I just want to know if I should be dosing anymore and with anything else other than Ick x?  This is the first time I have delt with anything like this. Any help is appreciated.

Kanaplex in food isn't effective as it's poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract so not much of the medication makes it into the blood stream maracyn2 is  effective antibiotic treatment in food if your sure it was epistylis I would just monitor your other fish if they start to show symptoms I would lower temperature as epistylis spreads more quickly at higher temperatures and feeds off of the gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of your fish I would do daily treatments of ick X and do a course of maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days 

1000000026.png

Interesting about Kanaplex. There is so much misinformation and it can get very confusing. Thank you for your suggestion. I will continue with the IchX treatments daily and get some Maracyn2. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 3:05 AM, Lilred said:

Interesting about Kanaplex. There is so much misinformation and it can get very confusing. Thank you for your suggestion. I will continue with the IchX treatments daily and get some Maracyn2. 

If none of your other has symptoms I would just monitor for now treat if you start to see symptoms