What’s wrong with this fish?

nish11an

Hi, I’m pretty new to this hobby (1 month) and this is a platy I believe, which was one of my first fish. I noticed this morning this wound near its tail (picture attached). Did it get into a fight with any other fishes (I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with mostly other livebearers and a couple of pearl gouramis)? Is this an infection? Any help will be appreciated!

IMG_7126.jpeg

On 2/4/2024 at 12:18 AM, nish11an said:

Hi, I’m pretty new to this hobby (1 month) and this is a platy I believe, which was one of my first fish. I noticed this morning this wound near its tail (picture attached). Did it get into a fight with any other fishes (I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with mostly other livebearers and a couple of pearl gouramis)? Is this an infection? Any help will be appreciated!

IMG_7126.jpeg

Looks like body rot you would want to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment such as kanaplex or maracyn2 What are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH temperature 

Edited by Colu

Water parameters are pretty stable. Temp 77-79, pH 7.2, GH 250 mg/L, KH 80 mg/L (basically moderately hard water). 0 ammonia and nitrites and nitrates stay around 10 ppm (my tank is heavily planted). I have not noticed similar injuries in any other of my fish though.

On 2/4/2024 at 5:02 AM, nish11an said:

Water parameters are pretty stable. Temp 77-79, pH 7.2, GH 250 mg/L, KH 80 mg/L (basically moderately hard water). 0 ammonia and nitrites and nitrates stay around 10 ppm (my tank is heavily planted). I have not noticed similar injuries in any other of my fish though.

Your most of your  water parameters are fine  I would add some crushed coral to raise your KH you want a KH 150ppm-250ppm for Mollies body rot is a bacterial infections that spread rapidly and kill quickly i would quarantine and start treatment straight away with kanaplex or maracyn2 I would add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons just remember to only put back in what you take out so if you do a 2 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in as salt is only removed though water changes and add an extra air stone during treatment