Paradise fish big weird problems

JessLynne7

Hi 

I have several paradise fish.

20l heavily planted, male and female( female is juvi  bought 3 months ago and male almost a year and full grown). ph 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20-30. Not heated 71-71

10 gallon - heavily planted - one full grown female the male in 20l rejected, ph 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 10. This female came with juvi female about three months ago. She didn’t ship well and wasn’t doing well at first not swimming or eating just sitting. After a few days the male and juvi female were bullying her so I moved her to the 10g, after a few days in there alone she recovered and started swimming eating and being a normal fish. Not heated 71-72

40b, heavily planted, ph7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 40 run high in this tank always ( even tho I water change weekly or Bi weekly depending). Had male and female pair. The male I had as a juvi for about 1.5 - 2 years and female came almost full grown about  1 - 1.5 years ago. Not heated temp 71-72

the male in the 40b started getting real swollen around his face and lips and under his chin. Bump on head big bump under skin like pimple. Feed repashy w antibiotics and swelling went down kinda and knot on head went away. For a month or so. Female fine whole time. This week the male was thrashing about the surface. He was having a hard time keeping himself straight in water and was twisting sideways like swim bladder ( no pinecone). He struggled to get air at the stop and would violently swim around and skim the surface to try to get a good gulp. This went on for several days and then a couple days ago he was upside down at the bottom. I scooped him up in a net and held him at top. He could not keep upright and kept flipping over and within 20 mins bubble came out of his gills and he died. Besides the weird swelling nothing else seemed wrong. I figured some type of swim bladder. Female in this tank still fine. 

now my female in my 10g is doing the same thing. She is NOT swollen in her face like he was. She is pinching a bit and has a bigger belly but the females typically do. She is staying at the top but turning in her side. She is struggling to get air and trashing her way thru the surface to get a gulp. She won’t eat and I tried medicated antibiotics.

about 1 month ago before all this happened I did try and put her in the 40b, she was in there for about 30-60 mins before I took her out. She just didn’t seem right the other female as sparing her and she wasn’t swimming good in the current that tank has. Point of this is she did swim in the same water as the fish that died this week about a month ago. Which maybe explains why she is suddenly now sick. However the female that has been in the 40b the entire time is fine.

my male in the 20l is acting weird now too staying at the top of the tank. He acting like he may have a slight swim bladder issue but is not fully turning over or anything or maybe I am paranoid- the female juvi in the tank is fine.

i am afraid my female in my 10g is gonna die. She won’t eat the medicated food. I did put some meds in the water. General cure (bc I haven’t seen her poop), kanaplex was in the food. Her tails all droopy and she’s not right. I fed some daphnia and she ate it yesterday but won’t touch the repashy w medicated food.

any advice?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by JessLynne7

Kanaplex isn't effective in food as it's poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract some not much of the medication makes it into the blood stream with the symptoms your describing it's more then likely bacterial infections I would treat with maracyn2 active ingredient is minocycline also has anti-inflammatory properties it can take two full course of treatment back to back if she not eating i would dose the tank @JessLynne7 

On 2/3/2024 at 7:16 PM, Colu said:

Kanaplex isn't effective in food as it's poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract some not much of the medication makes it into the blood stream with the symptoms your describing it's more then likely bacterial infections I would treat with maracyn2 active ingredient is minocycline also has anti-inflammatory properties it can take two full course of treatment back to back if she not eating i would dose the tank @JessLynne7 

Thank you! I didn’t know that about kanaplex and the food.

I have some api em erythromycin on hand. I also have some neoplex from Seachem on hand. I don’t have mayracin 2 on hand and will have to order. Would any of these others be a good substitute in the meantime? @Colu

On 2/3/2024 at 7:16 PM, Colu said:

Okay, learning something new. Almost always use m2   It’s what I can get easily. So when and what does kanaplex work on. 

On 2/3/2024 at 7:27 PM, Tony s said:

Okay, learning something new. Almost always use m2   It’s what I can get easily. So when and what does kanaplex work on. 

Me too I have kana plex, metro plex, general cure, api em erythromycin, Seachem neoplex, and ichx on hand but no fritz. I will have to order the maracyin 2

On 2/4/2024 at 12:27 AM, Tony s said:

Kanaplex is effective at treating gram negative and some gram positive bacteria it effective when dosing the tank because it's absorbed by the fish  it's a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment it's good antibiotic treatment to treat Popeye fin rot aerobic bacterial infections such as columnaris its very effective  when combined with nitrofurazone at treating columnaris or more severe bacterial infections 

On 2/4/2024 at 12:37 AM, JessLynne7 said:

Me too I have kana plex, metro plex, general cure, api em erythromycin, Seachem neoplex, and ichx on hand but no fritz. I will have to order the maracyin 2

Maracyn2 is effective in food or dosing the tank  it treats gram negative and gram positive bacteria Also has anti-inflammatory properties and treat's aerobic bacterial infections such as columnaris kanaplex and nitrofurazone together are the most effective treatment for columnaris i would do a course of neoplex then follow up with maracyn2  if you seeing no improvement 

Edited by Colu

Okay, thanks! I’m not at all used to dealing with aquatic diseases. And apparently they are very different from large animal’s diseases. Those are mostly gram positive. We only deal with a couple of gram negative diseases, actinobacilus pleuropnemonia, and ileitis (lawsonia intracelulitis (think chrohns disease )). I have tons (literally, I purchase meds by the ton) of animal medications for land animals, and my mill carries a USDA license for animal feeds. But I know zip about fish meds and best use practices, but trying to learn quickly.

With the kanaplex and the food, I apparently gave an incorrect piece of advice out the other day. I really try to stay out of things I don’t know. Like diseases, but feel horrible for people when they kind of get overlooked, which is easily done. Especially since it was an angelfish with swim bladder, I keep angels so I understand getting more attached than you would a schooling fish. I wish there were a place that had a comprehensive list of meds and their best uses. But at least we have here. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 4:45 AM, Tony s said:

With the kanaplex and the food, I apparently gave an incorrect piece of advice out the other day. I really try to stay out of things I don’t know. Like diseases, but feel horrible for people when they kind of get overlooked, which is easily done. Especially since it was an angelfish with swim bladder, I keep angels so I understand getting more attached than you would a schooling fish. I wish there were a place that had a comprehensive list of meds and their best uses. But at least we have here. 

The majority of bacterial diseases in fish are gram negative so I would always treat with a for gram negative bacteria Frist than switch over to antibiotic treatment that treats gram positive if your seeing no improvement 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:45 PM, Tony s said:

I found this while looking around.

i think kanaplex in the food was the advice to give and i have been told that in the past. Now with this new revelation I went searching and found this. https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/medication-2.html

Had some good info on there

On 2/3/2024 at 9:09 PM, Colu said:

Kanaplex is effective at treating gram negative and some gram positive bacteria it effective when dosing the tank because it's absorbed by the fish  it's a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment it's good antibiotic treatment to treat Popeye fin rot aerobic bacterial infections such as columnaris its very effective  when combined with nitrofurazone at treating columnaris or more severe bacterial infections 

Maracyn2 is effective in food or dosing the tank  it treats gram negative and gram positive bacteria Also has anti-inflammatory properties and treat's aerobic bacterial infections such as columnaris kanaplex and nitrofurazone together are the most effective treatment for columnaris i would do a course of neoplex then follow up with maracyn2  if you seeing no improvement 

Thanks

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 8:30 AM, JessLynne7 said:

I found this while looking around.

i think kanaplex in the food was the advice to give and i have been told that in the past. Now with this new revelation I went searching and found this. https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/medication-2.html

Had some good info on there

Thanks

It’s really all so complicated but I am glad I learned no kanaplex in food doesn’t absorb use in water instead!