Hatching BBS

smm333

I bought a brine shrimp hatchery. I want to feed my apistogramma to encourage them to breed. A little extra would be given to other tanks- honey gourami, endlers, guppy. I dont have a lot of fish to feed BBS, so I only want to hatch a small amount at a time. Is it ok to put a tiny amount of eggs in the hatchery? Would the water/ salt ratio be the same? Also, is regular sea salt ok to use? Or aquarium salt? I have both. Thanks for any help. I'm sure it's simple once you get the hang of it, but I'm feeling intimidated by it right now!

17069481755496701311615199939644.jpg

• Like 1

While i do not use this particular brand, if i want to hatch lower amount, i use less water and thus less salt. I personally use kitchen salt and epsom salt combination because my water is very soft.

Or for first time you can use the full amount as suggested and hatch full amount of bbs to know how it is supposed to work, and feed only what you need and freeze the rest in cubes for future use. Frozen hatched bbs is nearly as good as freshly hatched, if frozen quick enough after hatching

• Like 2

Salt and water ratio should stay the same and you can put any amount of eggs in (within reason, don't put a tablespoon in that little hatcher).  Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.  I have found that hatcher cleanliness is very important to hatch rate.

• Like 2