Purrmaid's 36g high tech journal

Pretty good? Between the snails, sae, and lower lights, most of it has disappeared. The most I can find is on the broad leaves of the anubias that I want to replace anyway. I'm thinking I'll chop the leaves off and see if the rhizome will still regrow some in the quarantine tank. If it can go back to being only 3 inches tall and a lovely dark green vs 18 inches tall and a strained, pale green, maybe it can come back to the aquascape tank.

pH was around a 6.4 or 6.6 yesterday a couple hours after the co2 went off. Idk how my neons and hillstream would handle being in water that swings a whole ph point over 24 hrs 😕

Hit send early by mistake, it was a reply in progress.

I wouldn't chop all the anubias leaves off at once, I'd maybe cut one (to encourage growth)  and see how it grows.  If it produces a leaf+ a month it's a good sign that your plant is pretty happy!

As for your PH, fish can generally adapt to PH changes over time. The problem is when they have a sudden change like when they are brought in from a petstore then dumped into a tank with a wildly different PH

Edited by JoeQ

I actually broke the rhizome in half when I added it a few weeks ago. I've not seen any new growth but the baby snails seem to love eating the algae off the leaves. The other half is floating in the quarantine tank (well, it's the holding tank rn. It'll return to its quarantine role when I get those neons, etc)

I just worry a daily 1 point pH fluctuation would be rough on those delicate guys. They're getting older after all 🥲

Morning update!

The co2 was probably on less than an hour, pH was already at 6.8. If only it would stay there. The drop checker was still very blue though. Gh was a 6 and kh was at 3. Snails and sae still seem happy. The amazon frogbit has spread over a bout half the tank lol. My gloves are supposed to come in Sunday so if the chemo isn't kicking my butt, I hope to switch out those plants, trim the cabomba back and try to make that a denser back screen, maybe see if my wood is finally waterlogged enough to remove some of the old, nerite egg covered rocks I was just using temporarily to weigh them down.

I was thinkg, maybe I should also use the gloves to get my water samples from the bottom of the tank and then compare them to the topside ones. Everything looks to be flowing well but idk what if the ammonia, nitrates, etc are heavy? And what if the pH, gh, and kh are being affected by the proximity to the surface gas exchange? The one fish in the doesn't seem to care about the ph fluctuation but maybe if I go mid water column, things are steadier. My oncologist doesn't want me sticking my hands in fish water and my disposable nitrile gloves only go up to my wrist so I'm limited til Sunday on what I can do.

yeah, turns out it doesn't just make your hair come out, your nails can weaken and uh...look, just don't google it like I did. Don't make my mistake. Just know mine are 90% fine, I caught it early and am taking more precautions and care now. My tank will just have to manage in the meantime.

Need to take the pic at night when the windows are dark

20240216_114810.jpg.79185ba984d72dd6006f09bc29f706f0.jpg

Doodled a floor plan so you can see my sorrows

Untitled65_20240216120320.png.1bbf771059945bc0dafd7a5cb60d61a4.png

• Love 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:04 PM, purrmaid said:

Morning update!

The co2 was probably on less than an hour, pH was already at 6.8. If only it would stay there. The drop checker was still very blue though.

Looks good! You may have to increase your kh slightly to get you into your ideal range. But I wouldn't suggest chasing PH which will drive ya crazy!

The one fish in the doesn't seem to care about the ph fluctuation 

If your live stock don't seem stressed I wouldn't worry about it. Live stock can adapt to slow changes in their environment. 

And what if the pH, gh, and kh are being affected by the proximity to the surface gas exchange? The one fish in the doesn't seem to care about the ph fluctuation but maybe if I go mid water column, things are steadier

Imo your wood is buffering your PH down (along with your co2 during the day) As for taking readings from the top vs the bottom of the water column I do not believe our tests are accurate enough to detect a noticeable difference. 

Need to take the pic at night when the windows are dark

This is one thing I wish I knew before buying a bow front...... Never put it directly across from a window!!! One of my busy projects is to fashion a removable blackout curtain on a long dowel so I can take pictures during the day. Maybe this might be an option for you? 

Edited by JoeQ

On 2/16/2024 at 1:54 PM, JoeQ said:

If your live stock don't seem stressed I wouldn't worry about it. Live stock can adapt to slow changes in their environment. 

I read you don't want your livestock to endure more than a 0.4 pH change over a 24 hr period so I've been chasing that pH stability. Wish there was a way to independently raise kh without raising the pH 😢  I'm afraid neon tetras and hillstream loaches are weaker to those extreme pH shifts but that may just be my assumption that smaller fish=delicate constitution.

Personally I'd be happy to have any functional blinds in that room. Those things are pricey! Hard to have curtains around cats too so window coverings are just something I have to deal with not having. Luckily that's at the back of the house. Only woods and coyotes and owls to watch me

On 2/16/2024 at 10:56 PM, purrmaid said:

I read you don't want your livestock to endure more than a 0.4 pH change over a 24 hr period so I've been chasing that pH stability. Wish there was a way to independently raise kh without raising the pH 😢  I'm afraid neon tetras and hillstream loaches are weaker to those extreme pH shifts but that may just be my assumption that smaller fish=delicate constitution.

Personally I'd be happy to have any functional blinds in that room. Those things are pricey! Hard to have curtains around cats too so window coverings are just something I have to deal with not having. Luckily that's at the back of the house. Only woods and coyotes and owls to watch me

I'm not sure where you got that number but in a tank with injected co2 1 point is, (in most cases) more than acceptable. 

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/ph-kh-gh-tds/ph-explained

As for the blinds, I'd have to ditch the cats!!! I live in suburb-ea with a nosey neighbor that can be seen pacing his porch 24hours a day!!! 

On 2/17/2024 at 6:57 AM, JoeQ said:

I'm not sure where you got that number

️Google

On 2/17/2024 at 6:57 AM, JoeQ said:

As for the blinds, I'd have to ditch the cats!!!

Absolutely not!! I'd shell out for new blinds first. They're only 'broken' bc the last people here were some college kids renting from one of their parents. "No dogs lived here," my tush. No one has to screw sheet metal to the backside of the laundry room floor and garage door frame, replace all the flooring, and still missed the dog nose smudges on the patio door that didn't have a dog 🙄

Anyway it's in the suburbs too, just on a hill towards a creek so most of my land is only mine bc they couldn't build another 3 houses on it lol. It has more privacy than average

On 2/17/2024 at 9:51 AM, purrmaid said:

Absolutely not!! I'd shell out for new blinds first.

I expected that response, that is the correct answer!!🤣

On 2/17/2024 at 9:51 AM, purrmaid said:

Anyway it's in the suburbs too, just on a hill towards a creek so most of my land is only mine bc they couldn't build another 3 houses on it lol. It has more privacy than average

That's a beautiful thing,  as for here we got 3 neighbors too close for comfort, with the porch pacer directly across the street from us.... 😥

The only house I can really see from the back is far away. They have like a greenhouse and gazebo they never seem to use? I can only see it during the winter anyway.

Neons and hillstream loach are in a pitcher acclimating to go into the 36g. Means the q tank is free for more neons or shrimps~ time to shop soon!

The pH difference between tanks was not very much, like the vials were practically the same shade

On 2/18/2024 at 1:24 PM, purrmaid said:

My gloves came in and seem pliable enough for aquarium work! Too bad I've been stuck in bed all morning with neuropathy. The trimming shall have to wait 😭

I'm sorry about that 🥲 Question:  how are you gauging when to do water changes (which I know aren't so easy for you) by a TDS meter or by 'feel' and a sporadic schedule on account of your health issues?

Thought I would take some pics to show how things are growing. The cabomba and frogbit are going nuts~

May do a trim tomorrow if I'm up to it. Maybe get some more neons in the quarantine tank?

20240224_235511.jpg.cce0a4d95d540ce013cc39f768d9e25c.jpg20240224_235519.jpg.cf48326c0f07b9adc4b03b88db70de65.jpgI already moved some frogbit to the q tank and it filled back in lol. Some ludwigia has decided to free itself from the substrate too

• Like 2

Well bro and I did get some (6) neons to quarantine.  So pitiful that that was enough to tire me out. Hoping these guys do well! Nitrates in the q tank were 10-20 ppm so the plants should be happy but maybe I shojld add more frogbit just in case? They ignored the dry food I gave them so maybe tomorrow I'll check how the ammonia/nitrite is again, change out some water if needed, and maybe start bulking these babies up with frozen brine shrimp

For ref, the quarantine tank is a standard 10 gal with a terrarium grating top we cut a hole in for a Seachem Tidal 35 and 100w Fluval m series heater. And an old light that was on my 36g before I changed the top to a glass one and upgraded to the Fluval. I think they're Aqueon bulbs? It has 2 different ones if memory serves right, like you could switch them out for different color combos but none of them were really bright enough for high lighting plants? Good enough for the extra plants and cuttings I have floating in there though. I should really like...pot them or something

The quarantine tank~

20240225_205454.jpg.76bab522a71c153540c18a4c89c161ea.jpg20240225_205513.jpg.ea6bd219c1d30117ac677da80942166e.jpgWish I could get those nerite snail eggs off that wood. It'd be great for the Walstad bowl I want to do later but they're impossible to get off 😕

Edited by purrmaid
unnecessary bad photo

Welp, none of the neons survived the week. I checked the parameters daily and there were no spikes. I am sad but I figure it was a bad batch? I ordered a box filter to maybe be gentler? Regardless I hope to feel up to taking the little frozen bodies back to Petco tomorrow. Red blood cells dropped enough the doc wanted to know if I was open to receiving a blood donation but I'm hoping taking a week off chemo will help without using scarce resources.

Anyhow, at least I'll have the box filter as a backup bc if the power goes out, I can heat up heating packs on the gas stove and I have a rechargeable air pump that can operate the filter and aerate the water. Hopefully that can help both the fish and plants stay healthy the few days it would work for. Luckily the power has never gone out more than a couple hours and they'd be fine without my intervention for that short time

Poor lil guys 😪. IMO, when getting new fish (especially from a large chain)  always assume they are sick. Stay hyper vigilant on quality food and water changes, as a first step to strengthen their immune system. Again IMO, Medication should only be used as a last resort.

Same here on the medication front. I checked the water daily, did a couple water changes, fed frozen brine shrimp and the mini pellets I normally feed. I have older neons in my main tank that have been around years so it's not like I don't know what to look for. By the time I noticed any odd behavior, they'd be floating in an hour. No physical evidence of disease, no gasping for air or anything like that. For 2 of them, the only hint something was up was 'separating from the group'. 2 others seemed to have some swimming troubles and 2 happened overnight so no clue on their symptoms.

I think my petco gets their fish shipments today so idk if I should get them replaced today while they're already stressed or let them relax in the petco tanks a few days, then stress them again getting them Friday or something

On 3/5/2024 at 12:42 PM, purrmaid said:

Same here on the medication front. I checked the water daily, did a couple water changes, fed frozen brine shrimp and the mini pellets I normally feed. I have older neons in my main tank that have been around years so it's not like I don't know what to look for. By the time I noticed any odd behavior, they'd be floating in an hour. No physical evidence of disease, no gasping for air or anything like that. For 2 of them, the only hint something was up was 'separating from the group'. 2 others seemed to have some swimming troubles and 2 happened overnight so no clue on their symptoms.

I think my petco gets their fish shipments today so idk if I should get them replaced today while they're already stressed or let them relax in the petco tanks a few days, then stress them again getting them Friday or something

If I get petco/petsmart fish I like to get them the day delivered (altho, that doesn't mean they are put in their tanks that day). Any how, they minds of well be in the same tank since the water comes from one main filter. If 1 tank has an illness in it they all do. IMO, the less time in their water the better!

It may *have* to wait til tomorrow. It's so stormy out! Atlantans don't know how to drive when stuff is falling from the sky lol Also there's fewer people at the pet store in the morning and I still have to be leery about my immune system. My mask helps but it'd help if everyone else wore one too 😮‍💨

Okay, new batch!

Petco had a buy 3 get 1 free deal too, so I got 8 instead of 6. They're smaller than the others but the employee said that might be a good thing bc the big ones are overfed and overheated by some breeders to force growth. I'll take hardy over size.

Anyway, my nitrates were at about 10 ppm so I did a 50% water change before acclimating them. Hopefully didn't rush it bc I had to make my chemo appointment.

Post chemo update: one already passed 🥺  the box filter came so I threw out the dry biomedia and used mine. It wants to float up so I put a rock on top. How do I make it make smaller bubbles? Wait until it figures itself out?

20240307_182348.jpg.b56e56faa83360a38e03e1f6b63bf910.jpg20240307_182348.jpg.b56e56faa83360a38e03e1f6b63bf910.jpg

20240307_182346.jpg

Poor lil neon 🙂↕️, hopefully you'll have better luck with the rest of t g em. Question, how are you acclimating them?

As for your box filter and bubble size, I don't know how to change bubble sizes. Maybe restrict the air flow or maybe change air pumps. As for holding it down your media might be too light.  Altho, i don't think their media is much better. I believe i did the same thing.

On 3/7/2024 at 7:52 PM, JoeQ said:

Question, how are you acclimating them?

I empty the bag into a pitcher then add tank water every so often. Then I net them out and add them to the tank. Ideally over 2 hours but I had to rush today and they only have about an hour of me adding tank water in steps.

On 3/7/2024 at 7:52 PM, JoeQ said:

Maybe restrict the air flow or maybe change air pumps. As for holding it down your media might be too light.  Altho, i don't think their media is much better.

I lent my Whisper 10 pump and regulator to my brother. He wanted an LED volcano in his octagonal 8 gallon Star Trek themed danio tank lol. Personally I think he should have gone with fancy guppies but it's better than the GloFish he started with. Anyway I'm running it off my rechargeable backup air pump and it only has these imprecise regulators. I filled the box with the cultured biomedia in the HOB filter as much as I could for weight and to have good bacterial population. I guess I could remove one of the 3 sponges??

On 3/7/2024 at 8:32 PM, purrmaid said:

I guess I could remove one of the 3 sponges??

3 sponges does seem excessive!  But I don't think leaving them in would hurt. I usually err on the side of caution when it comes to swapping out old filters for new.