Apistogramma?

MN Mom

We have a community tank with 2 honey gourami (both male), 8 hengeli/glowlight rasbora, 2 bristlenose pleco, and 3 amano shrimp. And 1 ramshorn snail. Can I add Apistogramma with this stock? Would they have issues with the gourami or amano shrimp? The shrimp are now over an inch long. Tank is 32.5g, heavily planted with lots of hides. 

On 1/31/2024 at 8:28 PM, MN Mom said:

We have a community tank with 2 honey gourami (both male), 8 hengeli/glowlight rasbora, 2 bristlenose pleco, and 3 amano shrimp. And 1 ramshorn snail. Can I add Apistogramma with this stock? Would they have issues with the gourami or amano shrimp? The shrimp are now over an inch long. Tank is 32.5g, heavily planted with lots of hides. 

@MN Mom If you put a pair in your aquarium and they spawned they will chase and defend the eggs, wigglers, and free-swimming fry. 

On 2/1/2024 at 12:16 AM, DallasCowboys16 said:

You should pretty much be fine with one of the more peaceful species like cacatuoides, borellii, agassizii, etc. The only time I’ve seen them be aggressive in a community setting is when guarding fry.

Agreed.

I have cockatoo apistogramma with my amanos, which are all around an inch or larger. They seem to ignore them. However they obliterated my cherry shrimp colony, which were mostly adults- they will seek out and eat every smaller shrimp (neocardina size) in the tank.

They can also eat smaller snails - every thing about a Lima bean or larger seems safe but anything smaller they will hunt down until there is nothing left.

Hope that helps 😻