ID Pleco Disease

Prboy7

Can anyone help me please ID what is going on with my pleco and what I need to do to treat it? I noticed the white spot on top of his body about 4days ago. He’s had two days of Fritz Maracyn, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, and Fritz ParaCleanse for the past 2 days. I’m doing a 1week treatment with no food. No improvements so far. It’s actually gotten worse and I now see 3 more white spots.

Temp: 80F

Nitrate:5ppm

Nitrite:0ppm

Ammonia:0ppm

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

Am assuming your doing the co-op med trio that a preventive treatment I would do a full course of maracyn follow the instructions on the box and leave one dose of ick X in and let it marinate while treating with maracyn could be bacterial or an injury that's caused a secondary infection @Prboy7

Update, after finishing the full Maracyn treatment I started salt water treatment. 2/4-2/9 he was at 1TBSP PER 2Gal (level 2). He was looking worse so I increased to 1TBSP PER 1Gal 2-9-Today. I attached updated pictures. He is definitely not looking great and it is spreading. Is this maybe because of the salt treatment? 

IMG_0278.jpeg

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0281.jpeg

On 2/10/2024 at 12:17 PM, Prboy7 said:

Update, after finishing the full Maracyn treatment I started salt water treatment. 2/4-2/9 he was at 1TBSP PER 2Gal (level 2). He was looking worse so I increased to 1TBSP PER 1Gal 2-9-Today. I attached updated pictures. He is definitely not looking great and it is spreading. Is this maybe because of the salt treatment? 

IMG_0278.jpeg

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0281.jpeg

Is there anything in tank that he could be injuring himself on 

On 2/10/2024 at 3:14 PM, Prboy7 said:

Nothing… the tank has a clay cave and x3 plastic plant. Nothing else…

How big are the caves if they are to small they can injury there head while trying to trap  the female or fighting with another male for a cave 

Actually, you may be right. I can’t believe I never thought of that. Here is a pic of the caves. The one on the right is the one he’s been in all of his life. The one on the left I just added. I think he may have grown out of the original cave. Hopefully he’ll take up the left one overnight and I’ll remove the smaller one. 

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Colu Our pleco has fully recovered and has been re-introduced to the main display. This was the first time in my 10 years of fish keeping that I have successfully medicated a fish at home. Thank you for the advice and for being willing to share your knowledge. You saved our Pleco!IMG_0435.jpg.c8a7c3ed5c393349935239ea70b5e826.jpgIMG_0434.jpg.ff3718e50d13a579a7102de0b49d5cc4.jpg

I believe that, in the end, a combination of salt treatment and removing his cave did the trick. 

• Like 1